Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 62

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. OhTheWater likes this.
  2. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Just googled Johnny Depp, and man, he's been up to some stuff this past year or so, hasn't he?

I still want to be his character in Secret Window when I grow up

OhTheWater and gonz (Alex) like this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It was just a cameo, yeah. It was also the last great movie he was in.

4. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Sure, but it's not like he had much to do with that

5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This is fucked.

Nathan likes this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

Noooo! Alamo Drafthouse is the best. I'd be so bummed if the one next to me closed

suicidesaints likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I know haha. It was just a general statement, not an attribution of credit to him for doing something of value.

8. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Gotcha. No worries. 21 Jump Street was great

9. Timeless was renewed! As much as I hated the finale, I'm really excited to see more Abigail Spencer.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

Will students enjoy Split or Get Out?

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Probably both. Get Out is the better film and probably has more to discuss, but they're both good and would appeal to them.

12. TedSchmosby May 15, 2017
    (Last edited: May 15, 2017)
    TedSchmosby

Trusted

It's probably ignorant to assume, but I would guess Split is likely to spur passionate discussion from a few select people, whereas Get Out would lead to topics that more people would feel comfortable sharing their thoughts on. Both are "horror" films that could allow students who are dismissive of horror to consider that interesting stuff can be said within the genre. That being said, I think Get Out is much more concerned with saying something and is much more comfortable acting as the basis for discussion. What are you thinking?

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. I just want Matthew Perry to be happy

15. Morrissey

Trusted

I am just putting them on to keep them quiet for the last week of school. I wasn't planning anything deeper.

SpyKi likes this.
  16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Well, Get Out is definitely the most fun out of the two, but they're both suitable for students, yeah

17. Dog with a Blog

Get Out and what do you teach?

18. Morrissey

Trusted

U.S. History (1854-present) and World History (1453-present).

19. TedSchmosby

Trusted

How does showing movies work for teachers? Do you just have a few days to show whatever you want as long as it's something that won't lead to a student complaining? I watched a lot of stuff in high school that didn't relate to the course at all

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. Morrissey

Trusted

In Florida, we have end-of-course tests admistered by the state for certain classes. That was last week, so the classes are effectively over. The students still have to come for classes with regular exams, though.

Usually I put on a documentary if I am hungover or did not plan something. I put on one fictional movie per quarter, usually after we have had a schedule disruption due to state testing or something else, so other students can catch up on work.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. nl5011 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  22. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Not sure where to post this so maybe this thread is the best...

Does tanyone know be best place to legally stream Spirited Away? (Also any other Studio Ghibli film)

My mom (who really wants me to get this for her) has never watched this film before and while I was able to easily find them illegally, this is very much a studio I want to support/pay for.

lightning13 and Bloodsucker II like this.
  23. Dog with a Blog

Hmm. I think that's one where you'll actually need to get physical media. Don't think it's even available to digitally rent. I find that, much like Nintendo games, Studio Ghibli's (distributed by Disney in the US) pretty much never go down in price.

cybele likes this.
  24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I can't find streaming but I found DVDs Studio Ghibli Films | Disney Store

cybele likes this.