Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 432

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I need to get into the right headspace to watch that. His movies are definitely challenging.

2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

It's the same feeling I get from people calling something "product"

3. Morrissey

Trusted

It is a product to producers and executives, and that is how they treat them. That is why they will cancel a show when it makes business sense but doesn't make artistic sense. For them it is dollars in versus dollars out. It is not how the filmmakers or showrunners think of it, and audiences shouldn't either.

riotspray likes this.
  4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

5. Morrissey

Trusted

What is the most annoying catchphrase from a movie or show?

I heard someone use alrighty then today and it was horrifying.

6. “Do I make you horny, baby?” and pretty much any other Austin Powers movie quote or impression of any of those characters.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

I really hope there aren't a lot of people going around saying that, whether it is sincere or humorous.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Austin Powers has swung back around and is now firmly ironically funny.

9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

some of the shit from HIMYM is incredibly cringey

wild there was a time people thought neil patrick harris’ character was funny

CarpetElf and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

“Some”

angrycandy and phaynes12 like this.
  11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Not a movie or show but my name is Jake and every dumb mothefucker I meet says “Jake, from State Farm?” like it’s some hilarious joke I’ve never heard. I hate it.

12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Is “alrighty then” really that bad? I guess if they were using the Jim Carrey voice when they said it, then I would be a little much, but I feel like it’s commonly used.

coleslawed likes this.
  13. phaynes12

yes it’s that bad

14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

That’s what she said makes me cringe.

riotspray likes this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

Try being a redhead for the first couple years after the South Park ginger episode.

Anthony_Soprano and imthesheriff like this.
  16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Are they any actually “good” catchphrases? In all the cases that come to mind they are forced and therefore not funny except for possibly in an ironic detached way. What’s actually funny are a character’s mannerisms / speech patterns, like any time a character on the Sopranos goes “Oh!” when someone gets out of line. It actually holds up as funny because it feels natural

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

18. Morrissey

Trusted

We talked about how the inevitable Trump movie will be bad, but I suspect that one day we will get a great movie about QAnon. They won't literally call it that, sort of like how The Master is about Scientology with the names changed, but it will explore the underlying desire for people to believe in mass conspiracies to fill in the blanks in their ideology.

19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

But first we will get multiple really bad movies about Qanon

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It will probably make a really great documentary though

21. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

Gonna go ahead and throw [insert any festival catchphrase] in here. But there is one in particular...

I went to Reading Festival one year (NEVER AGAIN) and it was a year that Family Guy was still relevant and everyone thought it was hilarious to shout "BUTTSCRATCHER!" at all hours of the day. If one person shouted it, another 40 did and it went on and on.

Getting wrist bands. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Putting up our tent next to the main walking path because there was nowhere else left. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Buying an overpriced lukewarm Tuborg (the worst lager). BUTTSCRATCHER!

Dropping an overpriced lukewarm Tuborg (the worst lager) while a shitfaced teen barrels in to me shouting... BUTTSCRATCHER!

Trying to appreciate Thrice playing "Come All You Weary". BUTTSCRATCHER!

Trying to appreciate Thrice playing "Red Sky". BUTTSCRATCHER!

Watching a fire truck attempting to put out a fire somebody had started on the only toilets close to our campsite and then get tipped over by a bunch of shitfaced teens all shouting... BUTTSCRATCHER!

Watching a bunch of shitfaced teens then set fire to the fire truck in some ironic act of awfulness. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Trying to sleep at 4am despite the putrid musk of flame grilled faeces floating through the air. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Being woken up at 4:01am by a shitfaced teen ramming a shopping trolley filled with two other shitfaced teens directly in to our tent and breaking it. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Waking up in my collapsed tent and realising I had another day of this shit to go. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Drinking copious amounts of overpriced lukewarm Tuborg (the worst lager) just to pull through the day. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Drinking so much that me and my friends started shouting "GARLIC BREAD!?" as a desperate attempt to dethrone the shit catchphrase with another shit catchphrase. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Sleeping rough because our broken tent was drenched in piss due to there being no toilets nearby and people guessing that spot was as good as any. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Sitting in a 3 hour traffic jam trying to get the hell out of Reading. BUTTSCRATCHER!

Feeling tempted by all future major festival lineups and failing to pull the trigger for fear of hearing someone shout... BUTTSCRATCHER!

Yeah. That's the catchphrase I hate the most alright...

22. Morrissey

Trusted

I had never heard that one before. I would definitely find ways to spend less time with those people.

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. phaynes12

the three month “dilly dilly” window from a fucking commercial was insufferable.

jkauf, imthesheriff and CarpetElf like this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I will never say it out loud but I do have a Bud Light Dilly Dilly shirt that they gave me when I bought a case

25. phaynes12

as long as you didn’t buy the shirt yourself, that’s fine

i went to a basketball event jason concepcion was at and got a shirt that had a catchphrase from one of his podcasts and it made me cringe so hard i left it there.