Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 426

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

More of it comes down to the studio / film makers themselves than you think. I can tell you as someone who works on movies that we get to choose what year we pick for it to say on imdb, wikipedia, etc which makes it canon. For example, when we pick up movies that had a festival run in 2020, but release it in 2021 wide, I'll personally go through and change everything to 2021 if I want that to be the "release year"

coleslawed and Marx&Recreation like this.
  2. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

So you’re saying you are the one to blame for it being so ridiculous. I should have known.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Most of the time it’s based on first theatrical screening for an audience, which is often at festivals, but that isn’t usually considered “canon” for awards/EOTY/general discussions, which is usually the actual non-festival theatrical run, whether limited or wide release. First Cow is a 2020 film even though it says 2019 everywhere, and Kelly Reichardt isn’t editing the IMDb or Wikipedia for it.

riotspray likes this.
  5. irthesteve

I can take the blame for the 2020 films I worked on, but the big studios is all their own fault!

6. Morrissey

Trusted

The general rule is that the release year is when it comes out in American theaters, even if it is just in Los Angeles for a week before New Years. This means foreign films that came out in their home countries the previous year and films that only played in festivals are not counted for that year.

Where it gets confusing is that a lot of the films that do the last week in December routine wait until January to release in the United Kingdom, so British critics will always have weird lists with "previous year" films.

7. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

It’s always funny when music outlets release their year-end list in like November and then something big comes out after. I’m pretty sure several places tried to subsequently list D’angelo’s Black Messiah on their 2015 albums list even though it was clearly released mid December 2014. I don’t know if musicians take that into consideration when they set a release date, but it does seem like there are very few big albums released in December.

For movies it’s practically the opposite - so many movies don’t get wide releases *until* the holiday season. And it feels like January-February is when so many people play catch up with the critics

8. Morrissey

Trusted

It is one of the many reasons to hate the Oscars. They do the bare minimum release in late December to get qualified, and then they release wide right after the nominations come out. Pretty much any major American drama is going to come out in the November-December area because of that malignant tumor on cinema.

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Basically the only time release year really matters to me is when making my person EOTY lists. When I do so, I decide on a case by case basis what counts for that year, but mostly it’s related to wide release (where applicable).

So, like, Weathering With You counted as 2020 for me, & when I watch Nomadland, it’s gonna count as 2021.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Yes please

11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I tried watching name that tune and I couldn't make it past 5minutes. I thought I was watching a sketch with every single cut to the crowd being over the top facial expressions, "wooooohs" that sound completely fake, people dancing in their chairs to goo goo dolls..... fuck everyone

12. irthesteve

Never heard of it, but that sounds awful

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

14. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Definitely think Samberg has an amazing serious, dark performance in him

15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Sequel to Uncut Gems where Andy Samburg reprises his role as Sandler's son from That's My Boy and takes over the jewelry business

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

who is asking for Clerks III?

18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Kevin Smith

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

probably the actor that plays randall

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I loved Clerks 2 when it came out, but I was also 15 at the time.

Patrick Willems did a pretty solid video essay about revisiting his work recently. That Jay & Silent Bob Reboot movie sounds pretty awful.

21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

how does someone so shitty get such a good cast

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i’m sure none of them will be put to good use

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

That cast is insane and the movie will be completely forgettable.