Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 345

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

You’re misinterpreting what people are saying. Nobody is denying that it works to get people interested. But it doesn’t indicate quality. That’s two different things.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

For example, this movie could have the tag line:

“From the producers of Schindler’s List”

[​IMG]

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

They also manipulated the message with the text size, with a big font for the films you recognize and a smaller font to indicate that they were talking about the studio and not the director or writer.

It seems like part of a larger trend of people identifying with or becoming fans of brands.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It’s been going on for ages in movies. It’s the reason Miramax was the first non-Disney/Pixar studio I knew, they were big on that tactic in the 90s but it’s been going on well before that.

CarpetElf and coleslawed like this.
  5. Morrissey Aug 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 8, 2020)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Today was my first time in a movie theater since February. It wasn't planned; I was trapped outside at noon in the August Florida Sun and needed to kill a few hours. Pulp Fiction and Jaws were both starting in ten minutes but I went with Pulp Fiction.

It was probably just a Blu-Ray, but it was interesting getting to see a classic like that on a large screen. There is a small moment where you can see Marvin's body in the trunk of the car as Winston shuts it and there is very little color left in his face. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Butch looks older when he is being told to throw the fight because he is washed up and younger when he proves he still has value when he kills the other boxer.

There was a couple whispering throughout the movie explaining the plot to each other. I would have assumed that everyone had already seen the types of movies that theaters have been using to fill the gaps during the pandemic.

riotspray and OhTheWater like this.
  6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. Tbh if theaters here were open at all I might go. It’s never even crossed my mind though it still seems so far off. There was a theater that was doing speciality screenings where you got in for $100 but it was only with like twenty or thirty other people in the theater and you got free snacks and shit for the entire Movie.

7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Apparently that theater is reopening on the 18th! Singing in the rain, blade runner, Fury road are the first showings

8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

There’s no way I’ll even consider a theater until I’m vaccinated

RyanPm40 and riotspray like this.
  9. Ugh I wish I could see Fury Road in the theater. But right now I wouldn't even consider stepping foot in one

RyanPm40 and CarpetElf like this.
  10. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The theater here is selling 50 tickets max in a 500 seat theater, so I'm not really too worried. Certainly more safe than when I go to work every day.

riotspray likes this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

Seeing all my coworkers not wearing masks in our staff meeting, I was safer in a movie theater with six people.

riotspray and coleslawed like this.
  12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This is a really specific complaint but I hate that Jeopardy on Netflix organizes the collections by winners on streaks. A lot of the fun of watching is lost if you know who's going to win every episode.

riotspray, coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  13. Just finished S5 of The Sheild, and wow Forest Whitaker was chewing it up hard. Curious to see how this show will end.

riotspray likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

I just started season five. Whitaker's performance was definitely an interesting choice.

It has one of the best endings of any show, so you are in for some quality. It is a rare show that just got better and better as it went on.

riotspray likes this.
  15. His performance choice threw me off at first, but I settled into it. Looking forward to these last 2 seasons.

riotspray likes this.
  16. Morrissey Aug 9, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2020)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Something that The Shield deserves a lot of credit for is making the main character a true villain.

When both The Sopranos and Breaking Bad ended, creators David Chase and Vince Gilligan criticized the ways that the audiences sided with their antiheroes and wanted them to get away with it. While they had a valid argument about how audiences live vicariously through criminals in media, the thing that they missed was that, in the universes of their shows, their antiheroes weren't really the villains.

Tony Soprano kills people, extorts people, and runs a criminal empire, but very rarely are his conflicts revolving around the police. Agent Harris is the most significant legal presence on the show, but he only shows up sporadically. Instead, most of the drama in the show comes from Tony's conflict with other gangsters, and they are almost always portrayed as more ruthless and murderous than Tony. We might flinch when Tony does the things he does, but we like him more than Mikey Palmice or Richie Aprile or Ralph Cifaretto or Phil Leotardo. In that sense, Tony becomes the "good guy"; after all, the Mafia has been around for over a century, so if it has to exist, wouldn't we rather have Tony than Ralph?

Breaking Bad has the same issue. While the delicate dance of being a drug dealer and being related to a cop is a part of the show, Walter White is primarily battling drug dealers who are far less sympathetic than him. While Walter has a family and came to the meth business out of necessity, he is competing with Tuco and Gus and Lydia and the Nazis, who are much less sympathetic. Even the poisoning of Brock, portrayed as one of the worst things Walter does, is part of a grand scheme to kill a man who actually did kill a child. If someone has to sell meth, we would prefer it to be Walter than the people he fights with.

In contrast, the Shield makes Vic Mackey into the obvious villain. He kills an innocent person in the first episode of the show and it never gets better from there. While the show has many murderers, rapists, and drug dealers that the cops go up against, they are almost all minor, appearing for no more than a handful of episodes (with one exception). Instead, Vic's conflict is with other cops, who vary from the pragmatism of someone like Aceveda or Danny to the self-destructive self-righteousness of Dutch, Julien, and Claudette. While Tony Soprano and Walter White do battle against people who were doing atrocious things long before their shows started, it is made clear that Vic and the Strike Team create more violence in the neighborhoods they are ostensibly supposed to be protecting. Since Vic is truly a villain, there is always this high-tension feeling that, sooner or later, the delicate balance of getting away with their crimes is going to crumble.

It is a show that deserves to be in the same conversation of the likes of The Sopranos or The Wire or Mad Men. It is also a show that managed to thrive on basic cable, back when people thought that prestige television was the domain of HBO.

SpyKi, riotspray and TJ Wells like this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Love The Shield. Need to do a rewatch one of these days.

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

:chin:

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Adam Driver in any Noah Baumbach movie

but if you want to go literally
    [​IMG]

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

still haven't seen!

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

is every adam driver character confirmed to be jewish in his films

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

no that's why I said I wouldn't count it literally but he definitely plays Noah in Marriage Story,

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

ha, my bad. reading comprehension is better when i haven't recently survived a power outage :embarrassed:

24. Morrissey

Trusted

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen