Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 344

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I did not expect posting "Obviously the Matrix is a trans allegory" in r/thematrix would be controversial, but I'm currently sitting at -13. I'm officially getting off of Reddit.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

better late than never!

TJ Wells likes this.
  3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Tripping?

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Lol yeah it was perfect. I feel like they needed to do it, I just wish they committed further.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

coleslawed likes this.
  7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

How the fuck did I miss that Soderbergh wrote a SL&V sequel in quarantine? Also, based on the first one, at least, a movie that probably wouldn't be very difficult to shoot in quarantine. To be honest, if, a year from now, I've already seen this movie, I wouldn't be super surprised.

8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

As long as Keanu can walk he must continue making more

riotspray, Cameron and phaynes12 like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Fuck we're getting Disney theaters

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

They will also be able to capitalize on independent theaters going out of business during the pandemic. You are going to have a Disney theater and a Netflix theater and an Amazon Prime theater in peoples' towns.

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

theaters are dead anyway

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am watching Singin’ in the Rain for the first time

riotspray and SpyKi like this.
  13. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Multiplexes are dead*

irthesteve and coleslawed like this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching Come and See now

riotspray and SpyKi like this.
  15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

You had a good night.

riotspray and OhTheWater like this.
  16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

17. Morrissey

Trusted

I would assume the vast majority of the cast did not understand the subversive elements of the movie. It is why they commit so hard to the sincerity. There was a Lincoln Center roundtable for one of the anniversaries and it seemed clear that Rico had not thought too hard about the film's themes. After all, he appears in the straight-to-DVD sequels that are just the violence and mayhem.

A lot of why Starship Troopers was misunderstood was because it came out in what Francis Fukuyama coined "the end of history". It can be hard to imagine now, but the Nineties really sanitized bloodshed to the point where it felt like the end of the Cold War was going to be the beginning of eternal peace and prosperity. If the film had come out in the later Bush years it would have been much more highly appreciated, but at the same time no one would have funded it because of the potential for controversy. Even some of the dullest people around would notice the similarity between the word Arachnid and Iraqi.

I always thought I was one of the few who noticed the blowhard TV commentator was foreshadowing Tucker Carlson, who also used to wear bowties almost exclusively.

David87 likes this.
  18. Morrissey

Trusted

Years ago I wrote an extensive defense of the film on Facebook and a former classmate, who was in AP Literature of all things with me, said I was reading too much into it.

David87 and OhTheWater like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Mad Libs headline

20. Morrissey

Trusted

Today I saw a trailer for some horror film and it said "from the studio that brought you Midsommar and Hereditary". Who cares about what studio did what? That is not really an indication of quality.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

no, but the names of the films that audiences like seemingly attracts people for whatever reason. that said, "from the studio/producers of..." is generally not a promising sign at all, i agree.

22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Normally I would agree with you, but that doesn't apply to A24. It's name being on something absolutely attracts a bigger audience.

23. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Many if not most people definitely think that the actors in a film are an indication of its quality, so obviously studios are hedging on the average person not knowing that the studio isn’t either

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Nobody is saying using a production company or producer doesn’t attract bigger audiences; it obviously does. They’re just saying that using them doesn’t indicate the quality of the movie, which is true.

Edit: This was directed at TJ

25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

at this point, If I see a24’s name before a movie, I absolutely will be instantly more intrigued and have higher expectations than if it was just some nameless studio, so I’m not sure I agree with that.