Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 242

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

It looked interesting and it's got like 92% on RT. I saw that it's on VOD now so I may try to check it out this weekend. Not really sure what to expect based on the synopsis, but I like going in fairly blind.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and yung_ting like this.
  2. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, seems like one of those that’s gonna be better the less you know about it. I’m gonna check it out this week.

riotspray likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember seeing a trailer for that and being pretty put off by it, but maybe they’re telling a different story than that made it seem.

4. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished Luce. I really liked it. Well acted, thought provoking little under the radar film. Worth the watch for sure.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m flabbergasted that anyone would ever willingly watch a movie or show sped up. I only ever see it discussed as an experience ruiner when networks do it for more ads. The ability to slow it down could be useful for catching certain easter eggs I guess, but that doesn’t seem to be at all the target use.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Nathan likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Meyerowitz always seemed like it had less to do with Netflix and more to do with Dustin Hoffman’s awfulness coming to light at the same time. The other forgotten ones not so much.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

riotspray likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

But whose fault is that, the directors or the studios? Both Scorsese and Soderbergh have talked in depth about having a hard time getting other projects funded in the past.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

oh the studios if that isn't clear, the fact that no studio would make Beyond The Candelabra because it had gay themes is absurd, it's sad that Amazon and Netflix have more money to experiment with but I don't fault directors who choose that route

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

I forget who said it, but a director made a joke about how pointless it was to shape his frames and focus on cinematography because people were going to watch his films on a phone. Imagine all the hard work that goes into timing dialogue and action and having it thrown out the window. Who wants to watch the character slowly walk down a spooky hallway in a horror film? Fast forward through all of those establishing shots and moments where characters are emoting with their face.

I see this with my students all the time. I showed them a bootleg of The Avengers last year and the ones that had already seen the movie told me to skip through entire parts of the movie. When I show Saving Private Ryan kids talk through the scenes where the characters are talking about their experiences and only focus on the action scenes, divorced from the context that gives these scenes emotional depth. Netflix is responding to this type of behavior.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Netflix chucking endless money at both incredible artists and random forgettable junk is always pretty interesting to look at and talk about. You could easily make lists containing most of the best or worst content of the year just from that one platform.

I’m super interested in the push and response for The Irishman. So many of their recent decisions and press as a company have been bizarre or terrible, and I don’t want this to get botched too. Still hoping Richmond ends up with a showing somewhere.

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I will always associate David Lynch with hatred of movies on phones. It makes a good double act with Patti LuPone and phones in theaters.

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I've never watched a movie on my phone in my life because I feel like I just wouldn't be able to get into it. I even hate watching stuff on my laptop honestly

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  16. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

can’t wait to watch Marriage Story at 2x speed

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Just the Scarlett parts

yung_ting and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Morrissey

Trusted

I'll watch some stuff on my laptop. Usually it is "comfort" stuff, like a show or movie I have seen before but can watch in bed. My 4K television is in my office, and that is where I'll watch stuff "seriously".

20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'll watch reality shows and stuff like that on my phone. Basically the type of stuff you watch while doing laundry or cooking dinner, where you can listen and glance at the screen every 30 seconds or so and get the point.

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I've barely ever watched a YouTube video on my phone, much less tv or a movie. Just not my style I guess

coleslawed likes this.
  22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I really only do it when I'm on my lunch break or stuck waiting at the DMV or something like that.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I usually watch stuff as I go to sleep and that’s always on my phone, but that’s about it.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Watch stuff on my phone 95% of the time tbh. Watch on my phone at the gym and in bed. Don't watch TV much outside of that these days

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

my phone is always on silent so no music or video for me but I don't find a big difference using my laptop or my tv to watch shows or movies, I'll get distracted either way

Colby Searcy likes this.