Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 231

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Cool.

2. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Cameron likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I associate Bond with family reunions over NYE so that will always mean something to me, but have zero attachment to it now or interest in revisiting any of them. Just give Phoebe her own IP with a big budget and stop this series.

4. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

It’s definitely just as useless, agreed

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

coleslawed and imthesheriff like this.
  7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Ads for that new “Cake” show on FXX look interesting.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Every actor fully commits to the absurdity of MacGruber. For people like Will Forte it was a chance to become more famous, but even Val Kilmer and Ryan Philippe, slumming it and wishing their careers hadn't gone this way, give it their all. Val Kilmer's face when he tells MacGruber to go ahead and cut off his penis, knowing it was already blown off, is terrific.

CarpetElf, imthesheriff and Cameron like this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

When he assembles that team of hot shots, and they all explode in the van. Lol

10. Morrissey

Trusted

They are all professional wrestlers. I imagine a lot of them were excited to hear a film wanted them, only to read what their role is.

Cameron likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

did I will this into existence

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

It's annoying that we have to do remakes instead of new, original ideas. However, this idea that remakes, sequels, prequels, etc ruin the original material needs to die.

SpyKi, DrAlanGrant, Dodger and 4 others like this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah I agree , it depends on the original source, like something like Charlie's Angels makes sense to reboot
    but if the Ghostbusters movie next year isn't great it won't make the original any less great, except for Bill Murray's sexual harassment

aoftbsten likes this.
  15. Fury Road is one of the best examples

16. Morrissey

Trusted

There are remakes better than the original. Soderbergh's Ocean's Eleven films are fun (I haven't seen the original), De Palma's Scarface has more cultural impact than the original, Sergio Leone took Yojimbo to make the excellent A Fistful of Dollars, and Scorsese's The Departed is much better than the somewhat mediocre Infernal Affairs. The Coen's True Grit makes the original almost irrelevant.

A remake or reboot or a sequel in and of itself is fine, it just comes down to the purpose of the work. When it is just a copy and paste attempt to milk established nostalgia, people notice. Some stuff is too tied to its era to be a close remake, so it needs a radical reinvention. The Jurassic World films are bad, but they don't have to be; the themes present in 1993 are still timely nowadays, and people still love dinosaurs. Something like the newest Matrix film is a trickier proposition, because so much of the film was of the late Nineties. It can be updated to fit modern technology, but doing it as a sequel will break the rules of the universe of the series.

The Princess Bride was never part of my childhood. I saw it a year or so ago and was mostly bored.

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

People also tend to severely underestimate how many now-classic American films were remakes of Golden Age / foreign films

Though it would be interesting to see a compiled list of remakes to get a sense of which eras have had the most/fewest

coleslawed and supernovagirl like this.
  18. Ashley

Personally I don't mind remakes. Never enjoyed watching them, but such thing has the right to exist.

19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Holy shit, Andrew Dominik is directing the Marilyn Monroe biopic ‘Blonde’ for Netflix, starring Ana De Armas and Adrien Brody.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Damn, hell of a cast in general:

“Along with de Armas – who has recently wrapped filming on the Bond film No Time To Die – Blonde features a cast that also includes Adrien Brody (Peaky Blinders), Bobby Cannavale (Ant-Man and the Wasp), Julianne Nicholson (I, Tonya), Garret Dillahunt (Fear the Walking Dead), Scoot McNairy (Killing Them Softly), Lucy DeVito (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Michael Masini (Birds of Prey), Spencer Garrett (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood), Chris Lemmon (Duet), Rebecca Wisocky (Star Trek: Picard), Ned Bellamy (Django Unchained), Dan Butler (The Mist), Xavier Samuel (Adore), Toby Huss (Halt and Catch Fire), Caspar Phillipson (Jackie), and Sara Paxton (The Front Runner).”

21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

When I think Adrien Brody I definitely think of Peaky Blinders first.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. omg how did i miss this one

23. xkaylinh Sep 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2019)
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Lol who asked for this

imthesheriff and Dog with a Blog like this.