Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 229

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Starship Troopers and Tenenbaums are all-timers

2. Need to see Isle of Dogs but dang did I love GBH

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

The high school and early college films that still hold up for me include Starship Troopers, The Royal Tenenbaums, Punch-Drunk Love, Lost in Translation, Tarantino's work, 25th Hour, Children of Men, Adaptation, and the Big Lebowski. I was also a big fan of American Beauty and Little Miss Sunshine, but I grew out of that pretty quickly.

4. Nathan

My list of high school films is similar. I'd throw in the work of Edgar Wright and Scorsese (I was introduced to him my freshman year of high school when the Departed came out, then did a deep dive), and Superbad remains one of my favorites. As for not holding up, I haven't felt an urge to re-visit the Nolan, Aronofsky, and non-Clerks Kevin Smith movies I was super into at the time. I'm sure some of them are still fine movies, they're just more in line with my high school tastes than where I am now.

5. Nathan

The most I've thought about American Beauty since high school was when Christina Hendricks revealed it was her hands on the poster

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I remember Thumbsucker and Chumscrubber were both Blockbuster rentals in my HS indie exploration phase. I don’t remember either

imthesheriff likes this.
  7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Adaptation. rules

imthesheriff, irthesteve and SpyKi like this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kevin Hart sustained major back injuries in a crash this morning.

9. Dog with a Blog

Dude, I just saw some pictures of the wreck. The fact that everyone in the car survived is fucking unreal.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

oh my god

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Ebert always seemed to enjoy roasting Siskel.

12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I remember all the heated arguments from the Ebert doc. Now I want to watch more of their bickering

13. Morrissey

Trusted

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Baby's Day Out has the best movie score of all time

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Literally the best thing about streaming and they want to take it away.

supernovagirl, SpyKi and CarpetElf like this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol jesus

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I like it for certain types of shows like mysteries and thrillers. Comedies or reality shows should all just be dropped at once.

riotspray, Dodger and coleslawed like this.
  18. I suppose the intent is to keep the shows "in discussion" for a longer time, right? Gotta battle HBO for weekly news articles and reviews, I guess.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  19. Morrissey

Trusted

Staggering the release of a show feels like a way to avoid people finding out how bad it was. If people with a day off breeze through something and tell the world it is terrible, less people are going to soldier through it hoping it gets better.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, but it works the opposite as well.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

If a show is good and episodes are dropped once a week, it keeps it in the conversation for 8-10 weeks instead of one big burst for a week or two and then people move on to something else. Plus, I’d argue that shows with intrigued and cliffhangers are more fun week to week rather than one long day of binging.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I hate waiting week to week and mostly just wait for shows to finish before I watch them, now I'll just have to wait longer for Netflix shows which is annoying.

24. Yeah I guess I'm indifferent. There are definitely some shows that I want to sit down with and watch front-to-back over a weekend, like Bojack for example. There are others where I wouldn't mind waiting a week between episodes. It all depends. It kinda sucks when a show drops and you're not ready to devote time to binge watching it and then when you finally watch it, everyone else is pretty much done talking about it.