Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 228

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Margaret Qualley is great, go watch The Leftovers ok thank you

Cameron, coleslawed and dadbolt like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Tetra’s worst fears have some to pass

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

This is insane, Linklater is 59

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Wow

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Dog with a Blog

That’s insane lol. I’ll be pushing 50. I don’t want to think about that haha

8. How do you secure funding or schedule production for something like that? I can't remember if I ever read up on the process for Boyhood.

9. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

just why

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I still need to see Boyhood but I think it’s an awesome idea and amazing undertaking.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

coleslawed and Joe like this.
  12. lmao almost made a thread for that linklater movie and then I was like...uh, no

coleslawed, Joe, irthesteve and 4 others like this.
  13. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I stan

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Cameron and imthesheriff like this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I wonder how many other movies are like this

supernovagirl likes this.
  16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

That’s why I still buy movies that mean the most to me. I own Dogma too but I bought it in high school. Though I’m glad I did now learning that, it’s a fun flick

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

Starship Troopers is a once-per-year film. It only gets more and more prescient as time goes on; I thought the absurd right-wing talk show host was a play on Tucker Carlson (bowtie and all), but it preceded his Crossfire appearance by three years.

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw that for the first time a few weeks ago, really see how the last couple decades have been good to it

19. Morrissey

Trusted

You can play mad libs with some of the terms and make the propaganda sound just like the War on Terror.

It is probably the film most personal to me, up there with The Royal Tenenbaums and Lost in Translation. I saw Starship Troopers when it came out and I was ten; I obviously didn't know the larger critique but I could recognize that it was more than a brainless action film. I remember writing a lengthy piece about it back in 2007 or so and a guy I went to high school with dismissively mocked the idea that it was deeper, as if it was an accident that the command looks like Nazis, Buenos Aires has become white, and the film is bookended by military ads. I saw very little difference between those ads and a trip to a warship when I was in sixth grade; in the film they let kids hold a gun, and in sixth grade they let us play on the mounted guns.

SpyKi likes this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Alright, I have to fast track finally watching Starship Troopers

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The ads are brilliant as they make the meta analysis explicit: that it's not a film about a fascist society, but a film made as if it was literally a propaganda film created by people within that society

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I love Paul Verhoeven but somehow have never seen Starship Troopers.

23. [​IMG]

10 year old me loved this

24. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on the royal tenenbaums.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

It is Anderson's best, and he can probably never top it. It is the intersection between his desire to prove himself as a young filmmaker (Bottle Rocket and Rushmore) and taking his style too far (Life Aquatic). He is able to have those quirk elements that so many directors tried to copy (the jumpsuits for Ben Stiller and his kids, Bill Murray's sleepwalking character) while also having a deeply human element. Anderson has never been better emotionally than he was early in his career; when Ben Stiller breaks down and says he had a tough year to his father, after two hours of being guarded and standoff-ish, it is devastating. Everyone in the family has trauma, and everyone in the family gets a deep exploration into the ways in which we carry our childhood into adulthood.

His newer films are good, but it feels like he is just trying to recapture the glory days of Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. I haven't rewatched any of the post-Darjeeling Limited films since they came out, with the exception of Moonrise Kingdom on a plane.