Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 225

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

realistic vomit, much like realistic violence, or realistic sex, or... well.... literally ANYthing that would happen in a movie.... works well if you do it well, its that simple.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

How many movies did you watch today??

3. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I had the thought bc I watched Edge of Seventeen last night which has the main character drunkenly puking in the toilet and it’s like this isn’t really a laugh or gag or anything it’s just puking

4. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

fukkin deep man shit damn

It really has nothing to do with realism. Cartoonish vomit could be funny and so could realistic vomit. Whether it “works” is down to what role it plays. I’m fine with using vomiting as a gag but that’s not really the context I was getting at in my og post

irthesteve likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It definitely read like you were saying there’s never a reason to show someone vomiting instead of using a discretion shot, which I think is what @irthesteve was getting at by saying the context matters.

What We Do In the Shadows had the first truly hilarious use I’ve seen for it in a while, but that’s also TV.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. Marx&Recreation Aug 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2019)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The internet truly has everything. Found a letterboxd list of movies that actually show vomit (though I noticed some kids movies on there so I'm assuming they just include "any movie where a character is shown throwing something up on screen")

Cinemetic (film vomir)

14 pages of movies and when I organized by newest first it took me until page 6 to hit 2009 and page 10 to hit 1999. Even with the inherent skew you'd have to account for people being more familiar with a larger number of contemporary movies, the results are clear

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

wow.

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I can’t remember if you work with films for a living or if that’s just a huge marathon. Lol. What was the list?

10. SpyKi

I just have regular movie days, ha.

Guilty of Romance
    Imprint
    Wild Tales
    John Wick 3
    Girls With Balls

11. yung_ting

Trusted

Wild Tales! I can still picture that opening plane sequence so vividly

12. Morrissey

Trusted

When I was in college there were times where I would average three movies a day. Five might have happened at least once.

imthesheriff likes this.
  13. SpyKi

It was amazing! Easily the best thing I watched yesterday. Consistantly fun and surprising.

yung_ting likes this.
  14. I feel like I may have done the equivalent in anime episodes in the past.

15. SpyKi

I think the most I've ever done was 9 back when I was watching a lot of silent movies so they were mostly quite short and I was just watching them all day.

16. SpyKi

I've spent an entire day watching Hunter x Hunter before lol. Only stopping for food because I can't eat while reading subtitles.

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

If I watch two movies in a day I can feel drained lol. Though I could probably binge 5 movies worth of a tv show - since it’s all one narrative it doesn’t feel like I’m starting from 0 each time

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I can barely process one movie at a time, I've done 2 or 3 mainly on a plane

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ll “watch” 2 or 3 movies I’ve already seen in a day fairly often, because I like something in the background while I do my rough drafts of transcription. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that many new movies in a day because I like to take my time with them more than I used to.

I can definitely binge the equivalent of 4 or 5 movies in TV when I’m not working though.

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

When I was in film school I’d watch movies for homework for like three classes then have movies I wanted to watch for pleasure or movies I’d be interested in that were mentioned in my classes but we didn’t watch, then I’d try to go to the theater for at least 2 movies a weekend, so there were Saturdays and Sundays where I’d see 6-7 movies a day for a total of like 12-14 on the weekend

coleslawed likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Nathan likes this.
  22. I've gone to AFI Fest a couple times and saw 4 movies in one day. It's exhausting but fun.

23. Oh hey, I did the two-weekend AMC Best Picture Showcase once, the year Moonlight won. And then Moviepass became a thing.

24. Idk if this is a bit or something, but this guy writes/directs laughably bad kids movies about this Cool Cat character, and this clip has me dying for some reason.

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. Dog with a Blog

Lol, not a bit. Dude is dead serious

Joe likes this.