Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 223

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Google has Harry styles both signing on to and turning down the little mermaid. What is the truth?!?!

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it looks like someone had an inaccurate source that others ran with, it was weird because Prince Eric doesn't have a song why would they go with a singer haha

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

BECAUSE HE CAN CLEAN UP WELL OKAY. HE WAS IN DUNKIRK. LET ME DREAM.

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Screenshot_20190813-160530.png

Feels relevant

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

it would be very realistic that Ariel would act like a moron for him haha

8. Morrissey

Trusted

When I saw that Hitler movie as a trailer, I couldn't believe it was a mainstream release.

9. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Since the decade is almost over, who are some of the best directors to come out of the ‘10s? As in, excluding directors who had a great decade but already had a directing career prior to 2010

Though I guess you could also include people who technically directed things prior to 2010 but were pretty much unknown at the time

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Coogler and Villeneuve are the first two that jump out at me (yes, I know the latter directed some films prior to '10)

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  11. Denis Villeneuve immediately comes to my mind.

12. Not to say his movies are amazing, but I think Mike Flanagan has had a really solid decade and has emerged as one of my favorite horror directors nowadays.

ChaseTx and Cameron like this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Barry Jenkins too, plenty others that should be obvious to me

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

It seems too early to say Greta Gerwig and Jordan Peele unless we count Frances Ha and Mistress America which she wrote but didn't direct

Also Ava Duvernay

CarpetElf likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Can we say Edgar Wright with only his last three to go off of

16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Also PTA off the strength of The Master and Phantom Thread

17. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Jordan Peele

18. Ya there are a few directors with 2 really good movies under their belt, but maybe that doesn't count. Jordan Peele, Ari Aster, Robert Eggers, Jennifer Kent (assuming The Lighthouse and The Nightingale are as good as people are saying).

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  19. Aren't all four of them working in the horror genre? That's interesting.

20. Ya, probably just my genre bias surfacing haha. I'm sure there are other directors in other genres I'm not thinking of.

21. Technically I think their greatness started in 2009 with Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, but Phil Lord and Chris Miller had a great decade.

EDIT: Damien Chazelle is another obvious one.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  22. I never really took the genre seriously until I started watching some of their films, though. That's, like, the opposite of your genre bias. Was "prestige horror" (not my term but imma keep using it) not a thing until recently?

coleslawed likes this.
  23. It feels like it's more of thing now, but I would say it's been around. I think people started paying more attention to it when stuff like The Babadook and It Follows came out. Idk if those are "prestige" but they weren't typical.

24. I don't know if I'd consider It "prestige" or Muschietti particularly good, but I'm really looking forward to Chapter Two.

25. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Even if they started in 2010 years then of course they’re not going to be prolific or anything. One or two great films is more than most can ever say. And I don’t think that saying “they did great work so far” is the same thing as making the baseless claim that they’ll for sure be great in the future lol