Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 219

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It’s staggering. I used to dislike Tom Hooper, but now I’m sort of in a weird sort of awe of him, an awe lacking any respect or esteem, similar to my feelings for Tommy Wiseau

2. Morrissey

Trusted

I thought the trailer was bad, and then someone said that Hooper directed it, and now I have to see it for my worst of the year list.

OhTheWater likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I couldn’t get past 45 seconds but now it’s all I can think about. This is on an entirely different level of terrible.

imthesheriff likes this.
  4. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

An absolute fever dream of a trailer

5. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Even if it looked amazing, I wouldn’t be able to watch it without thinking of Kimmy Schmidt

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

And they always prove their point to Olivers!

Cameron likes this.
  7. clucky

Trusted Supporter

8. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

The Cats trailer played twice back-to-back last night when we saw The Lion King and it was terrible lol.

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Worst Groundhog Day ever.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The writing in that intro hurt my eyes and mind. Will still read it though.

IMMEDIATE EDIT: Great Gatsby being 98 already makes me want to stop.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

12. Skimmed the list, and I think that's the most "?" pick on there unless I missed another head-scratcher. I remember enjoying that movie (haven't seen it since it came out) but was definitely surprised to see it on a "Best of" list.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

There’s a few others that were really terrible on there, but I agree that it stands out. Some good choices in there too for sure.

Reading that just confirmed my feeling a bit more that television in the last decade has excited me more than film in a lot of ways, and those lists are what I’m really looking forward to.

14. I think I've seen most of the "best" tv shows that have come out recently, but there's so much on that Top 100 list that I haven't seen, so it's hard for me to say really. Also, a lot of my personal favorite movies aren't on that list haha. There has been some stellar tv in recent years, though. Leftovers, Chernobyl, Fleabag, Americans, just to name a few off the top.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

“Downey only makes money as Tony Stark,” is a very weird insult.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

There are a lot of ways to react to that statement.

It is understandable that an actor would want to appear in a big-budget film or series of films. The financial security you attain is immense, and you would be able to support your family. It also allows them to take risks and give star power to projects that might not have it. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart did some awful vampire movies so they can appear in films like High Life and Personal Shopper. James Gray has made some amazing films but he says he can't even afford to buy a house.

However, comparing auteur directors to film franchises is pretty silly. For starters, directors tend to dive into different genres and types of work, while a franchise is consistent. Martin Scorsese could have probably been very successful making mob films over and over again, but every time he has made one of the films that people recognize as an all-time great he has followed them up with radically different types of movies. Tarantino is a little bit less diverse, but he didn't keep making films like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

18. domotime2 Jul 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 22, 2019)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I didn't read the full article but I do agree that when I see Leo is in a movie it does make me say "hmm... this must be pretty decent". I can't say that about pretty much any other actor

19. I think I read something like Disney movies account for almost half of all movie ticket sales this year so far? It's bad, but I'm pretty sure most directors would jump at the chance to direct something under the Disney umbrella.

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I like Ira but the select few actors who generally succeed at the box office outside of superhero fare is an interesting grouping and like Moz said Scorsese and Tarantino dive into wildly different stuff. It’s not like studios were comfortable making Silence or even the Irishman, since he had to turn to Netflix to get the funding he wanted

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Sam on ER is kind of the worst

Also last night I watched the episode of Frasier where Daphne sees a therapist and talks about not feeling like she can live up to the pedestal Niles had put her on and that he wasn't treating her like a person but this godlike creature he had fantasized about for so long, and anyway I wish more shows with the longtime pining character did that. Maybe then Ross could've worked out the issue before the break!!!

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The only part of ER I have seen is when they had that Friends crossover.

Kiana likes this.
  23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

24. Morrissey

Trusted

Piracy Is Back

Interesting article about how Netflix helped to significantly derail piracy, but these streaming services all over the place will encourage it.