Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 218

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

I will talk to anyone about any film. If I go on Letterboxd or something else and see that someone gave The Lion King 8 out of 10 golden bananas, there is less to talk about. This is especially true if it is someone who gets very upset when someone disagrees with them about a movie.

For comparison, if I see someone logged a film, I can ask them what they thought. I don't know where the conversation is going to go and I am not coming into the conversation with my thoughts ready for rebuttal or agreement.

2. yung_ting

Trusted

I give The Lion King ten golden bananas

3. Morrissey

Trusted

The one time I did find rating movies useful was in the days of Netflix DVD-by-mail. Their algorithm almost always knew how I was going to feel about a movie.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

But which Lion King??

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I miss that system SO much. It was so much more intuitive and I agree, it always seemed to be aware of what I might enjoy or not. Just giving a thumbs up or thumbs down in the new app is useless, especially when their “percentage” recommendation always seems to be skewed toward originals.

6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Oh yeah sure I agree lol. I only give ratings as an easy mental trigger for myself, e.g. if I look back at a film and wonder why I only gave it 8 bananas.

I especially hate that critics give ratings, since it's supposedly their literal job to do exactly what you described and yet they know that 9/10 bananas people won't bother going past the score

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes will even assign scores to films when the critic does not give a score. I believe some magazines and newspapers require critics to give a score as well. It is Siskel and Ebert's fault.

Sometimes I look at other user's ratings breakdown and the bell curve, or sometimes lack of one, is all over the place. I would be very stingy with 5's but I would give out way too many 3's because I don't have a strong like it/hate it feeling.

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t think I’ve ever used a service like Letterboxd where anyone else could see my ratings. Maybe the old Netflix had that feature but it’s way too long ago to remember. I really did like that five-star shorthand, especially since it could easily be changed if a rewatch shifted your opinion. I use to love going through and seeing what I loved and what I hated and how that might hold up or not with my current views.

There was a time where if you used an old
    enough system to stream Netflix still gave you the star rating. I wonder if I tried using the old Wii disc if I could see them or if it wouldn’t start up at all.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I used to make myself write something about every movie I saw when I logged consistently on Letterboxd because yeah, I don’t get anything out of seeing “so and so watched and rated Spider-Man 3.5 stars”. I got busy and had trouble keeping up though but still liked logging star ratings with no written entries for my personal film log, but I’m trying to get back into writing at least a quick little something. I still rate a star rating but don’t give it more than like 3 seconds thought

CarpetElf and coleslawed like this.
  10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I especially love people who see the “Fresh” % on Rotten Tomatoes and don’t get that a 100% just means no outright negative scores. Cs get degrees baby

And yeah in my weird mental calculus a 2.5-3 out of 5 basically means it succeeded in not being a poorly made film but that at the same time I could not care less about it. Anything below that is when a movie starts failing to maintain basic coherence

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jul 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

CarpetElf and coleslawed like this.
  12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

13. GoingInDry

Hit a lick

You never used IMDB? Everyone can see your ratings there too. I think you can hide them though.

14. Dog with a Blog

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Lol @ this episode of ER where Sam is acting all sanctimonious about how John Stamos is looking after her kid. Like sis under ur watch he set a building on fire while u were having sex in the next room like ur gonna judge????

irthesteve likes this.
  16. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm actually enraged on behalf of John Stamos rn.

irthesteve likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Watched The Insider for the first time, was incredible. Think Mann is slowly becoming one of my favorite directors

coleslawed likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Nope! I think I might have had an account for their messageboard way back in the day, but I’ve never rated anything there.

19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yupp. I still use it too haha

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Um

21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't know if there's a thread for general movie soundtrack discussion but The Perfect Storm is on TV right now and I've had to have seen it at least 100 times at this point but I just now noticed it uses some of the exact same songs from Enemy at the Gates....which it turns out were done by the same composer.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Oooh

24. Now I am become Cats, destroyer of worlds.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sorry It, you don’t win the most terrifying trailer drop of the day now. My eyes are forever tainted.