Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 214

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

TJ Wells and riotspray like this.
  2. I mean, if Across the Universe wasn't enough to make me want to start listening to them...

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s 92 degrees, there’s no room for this thread to be pulling out such hot takes.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I didn’t see it! I have friends who like it

5. Nathan

Also the Beatles have songs that would go #1 if they came out tomorrow. And most of the ones that wouldn’t would just need to be adapted or updated into more contemporary genres/styles of production.

Some bands/movies/pieces of art deserve their ridiculous hype and reputation and hold up extremely well to any time period. The Beatles are one of them.

6. irthesteve

Correct.

riotspray likes this.
  7. I think I missed out on the whole having white parents listening to The Beatles while I was growing up.

8. irthesteve

I have Mexican and white parents but started listening to The Beatles on my own right around high school time

9. Nathan

Yeah while there’s a conversation about race to be had about the Beatles themselves as white men playing rock and roll in the 60s who went on to appropriate Indian culture, the universality of their music and the people it reached is largely the reason they have the status they have.

10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

you should see it.

11. I mean, I won't deny that they were influential, and I usually enjoy their songs whenever they come on, I just never felt compelled to explore deeper than their greatest hits.

12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm just here for the Notting Hill mention.

I don't listen to the Beatles. My grandma who is a first gen Mexican immigrant loves the Beatles. I don't dislike the Beatles, but I've never felt compelled to explore further. I had a teacher in middle school who would have us listen to Beatles songs and write whatever we were inspired to write. She also let us bring music for that sometimes. I remember some kid brought a Yellowcard album. Aww youth. Anyway. I know like five Beatles songs.

coleslawed and Nathan like this.
  13. twinsies!

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think I’ve mentioned here before that my father used to watch certain movies every single day for months (or what felt like years) and Notting Hill was one of those, so I haaaaaaated it for a long time. I finally watched it on my own a while back and it was much better than I expected. That and Four Weddings are basically the only time I can understand Hugh Grant’s appeal.

15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Paddington 2!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I still really need to see that!

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  17. Nathan

I went on a Julia Roberts streak recently. My Best Friend’s Wedding, Notting Hill, Pretty Woman, and Ocean’s Eleven. I adored it.

coleslawed and Kiana like this.
  18. Nathan

Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman is an iconic performance and I love it but Richard Gere’s character being a billionaire whose epiphany moment of growth leads to him doing private contracts with the Navy has not aged very well

19. Kiana

I find hugh grant SO charming. I love his dry sense of humor. But I've only seen like two movies with him

20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Their greatest hits is like 100 songs though.

irthesteve likes this.
  21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

No way is that possible. You definitely know more.

22. Kiana

Probably but also probably not much more. The Beatles just were never played in my home growing up so any songs I've heard are from like movies or commercials

23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

yeah but they've got like 20 songs minimum from movies/commercials

24. Nathan

Yesterday was so very bad I regret praising the Beatles legacy because of it

TJ Wells likes this.
  25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious