Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 191

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Evergreen “cinemasins fucking blows”

dadbolt likes this.
  2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Does anyone know any good movie analysis YouTube channels? I don’t think I’ve seen many, if any, good ones.

3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I saw Cold Pursuit tonight and my god what a dumb movie

4. Nathan

I like Lindsay Ellis, Patrick H. Williams, and Jenny Nicholson okay. I'm not super well-versed in YouTube criticism though. Wisecrack does some fun talk about movies and philosophy.

coleslawed and Davjs like this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

OMG no!!

7. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Every Frame a Painting. Unfortunately, Tony was so good that Criterion scooped him up.

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Amazon and Netflix are both bad and I do think the theater experience is irreplaceable and I hate how more and more movies don't really get theatrical release, that being said I don't think this is the answer

Nathan and Dodger like this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Green Book just won best picture, pal. Netflix isnt the problem

coleslawed, riotspray, cybele and 8 others like this.
  10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I was planning to post this as well. I’m not surprised that people are kicking and screaming but it’s such a waste of time and just makes him look totally out of touch and bitter. It’s also SO dismissive and rude to act like Roma should be looked down at or viewed as “made-for-TV” instead of as a major achievement on its own merit simply because of who backed it.

Also the Green Book comparison really does make it sting more. Of all the times to be defending traditional studio films above what streaming platforms are giving money to.

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Plus I can’t even count the number of films I’ve wanted to see in a theater recently but had zero showtimes near me at any point, and those were all traditional releases. So maybe tackle why interesting films are so often impossible to see in that setting before yelling at clouds over what Netflix is putting out.

12. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

To be fair I dont think his intent is to discredit or belittle movies like Roma. I think hes just afraid of the precedent it sets going forward and how it will negatively affect theaters going forward, which I think is a fair concern. I agree though I dont think his way is the answer.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

You can say, “Streaming platforms should give their films wide releases to help them reach the biggest audience and show off the films to their full potential,” or, “The theater experience is so special, we need to work harder to protect it in a digital age,” without being condescending to valuable work by saying, “It’s a TV movie. If it’s good, give it an Emmy.”

I want more Soderberghs making full films on iPhones and trying to make filmmaking more accessible and less needless gatekeeping from megarich dorks who just want to be the only ones in power.

14. Dog with a Blog

But the movies that make money at theaters aren’t the small indie pictures that tend to get distributed through Netflix/Amazon. Streaming services are an amazing platform for indie filmmakers whose movies would otherwise get pushed out of theaters by companies like Disney

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Aaaannnnd Netflix already announced a wider release for The Irishman to help combat this, so why is he still yelling?

16. Dog with a Blog Mar 2, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2019)
    Dog with a Blog

I was having this argument recently with my brother who is a producer and is super old school and he was saying that he doesn’t think Netflix/Amazon movies should be able to enter festivals. Let’s not pretend that a movie being in a theater is indicative of its quality at all. By that logic, Roma is less of a film than the next Transformers

17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Roma doesn’t hold a candle to acclaimed theatrical release Holmes & Watson

18. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Agreed. Totally. Id rather get something like "To All The Boys..." on a SS than not get it at all. But the fear is (and I agree) in the future if we continue down this path that the only movies that will ever be in theaters will be 100 million budget blockbusters and more and more movies will be parceled off to different streaming services, especially when so many streaming services are being created. Annihilation is a good example. And Disney wont be putting a lot of movies on the streaming service in theaters.

The more studios are reluctant to put it in a theater for fear it wont make money and sell it to a SS, the more theaters are going to be desparate for cash and charge the studios to put a movie on the big screen and the more customers will have to pay, which is further incentive to NOT go to the theater.

Its just a messed up system in general. Once again I dont think denying SS movies like Roma is the correct move. I dont know the answer, but I do understand his fear.

Were not going to stop streaming services. Their take over is inevitable and the demand to go to the theater is decreasing the more the ticket prices increase. Its up to movie studios and the theaters to change. AMC's A-List is a great start. I also think a huge aspect is that studios need to stop making movies for absurd amount of money that have no chance to make it back. Thats a big one.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

aww that sucks for him

riotspray and ChaseTx like this.
  21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Absolutely does suck. But still I do want to see Gina as Velma

riotspray likes this.
  22. yung_ting

Trusted

ding ding

As someone who doesn’t live in a major city with the ability to see arthouse/world cinema conveniently, fuck this argument tbh. It’s classist bullshit and if Netflix wants to finance/distribute films I want to see and do so in a way that I can actually watch them then it is a net good. Old men need to stop protecting their beloved Oscars as if they’re going to stop winning them.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Netflix definitely grants access to films, they also buried The Meyerowitz Stories and High Flying Bird so I have an issue portraying them as the good guys in the story who are championing independent film, they're a corporation, all film distributors only care about money and aren't your friends
    not defending Spielberg or being snobby about film distribution either, it all sucks and there's no good answer

Anthony_ likes this.
  24. Nathan

Yeah it’s not like Netflix’s mission is to make movies more accessible, that’s a pleasant and notable side effect of their mission to make as much money as possible.

AndrewSoup and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like Meyerowitz got a pretty big push when it first came out, but all the Dustin Hoffman stuff hit the news just a few weeks later and that was the end of that. I still get it recommended to me and then I’m sad all over again.