Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 183

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

I didn't back off of anything. Moon was the first film that came to mind as great over the last decade. Other people listed some other strong ones.

2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah I had a teacher that would interrupt every sentence someone started if they said that haha.

Also, you had a law class in 10th grade? What haha

3. Morrissey

Trusted

It was this random elective that an older teacher made up. I had her again as a junior for government. She was pretty far-right, which helped me a lot in backing up my more left-wing political views. She was passionate, though, and made me want to teach.

dadbolt and CarpetElf like this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Uuuuugh why can’t I just stop reading this.

5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i mean top of my head? Edge of Tomorrow, Inception, Melancholia. Never Let Me Go, Looper, Source Code, Mad Max, Arrival. these would all make my top sci-fi movies of the 21st century list

Davjs likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Been a while since this happened. I love it

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This discussion and Glass coming out both reminded me that Looper exists. That movie totally fell out of my brain the second I left the theater. I wonder if it would make a bigger impression on a revisit.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Starship Troopers is the beginning of any conversation about great "modern" science fiction, but at over twenty years old it doesn't really fit. It does not feel that old, though.

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh no I wrote another post which was basically an apology for getting into an unnecessary argument and it’s in my drafts again now so here’s this instead.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Has anyone heard anything about Hanna yet? I can’t find much about the adaptation but the trailer included Romanian writing which has me super interested.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I loved the movie, will see if the show works without Saoirse

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Definitely big shoes to fill.

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

They are making it into a tv show?!?!?

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes! And there is almost no info about it online from what I can tell, apart from who is involved. But if they decide to put it in Romania specifically I’m super there.

15. Cameron, Davjs and CarpetElf like this.
  16. Davjs

Trusted

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

an intense level of nepotism, I can't picture this at all

19. On the topic of Reitman, is Juno generally considered to be garbage now? What's the consensus on Up In The Air? I haven't seen these movies since they came out, but I remember liking them at the time. Never watched Thank You For Smoking or Young Adult.

20. I own Juno and Up in the Air on DVD but haven't seen either of them recently, nor have I seen anyone talking about them, to know if they hold up. To not actually answer your question, I thought Tully was really good, but that might've been because he was working with Diablo Cody and Charlize Theron again.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Joe like this.
  21. I forgot about Tully. I did watch that last year and thought it was good.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I remember nothing about Up In The Air like Anna Kendrick runs around with a suitcase or something and was nominated for an Oscar for it , I love Diablo Cody and I think Juno holds up but it's been a few years
    the backlash for Juno was dumb and misogynistic and because people place too much emphasis on Oscars

coleslawed, EASheartsVinyl and Joe like this.
  23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I rewatched Juno recently and I still loved it but some parts are SO of its time and it’s insane. I never would have thought that something could be that painfully 2007 and still be a compelling story now, but it is. It’s like a time capsule. Jason Bateman’s character is even more horrific than I ever would have remembered back when it came out though.

I only saw Up In the Air once in theaters and it struck me as such a mean-spirited movie that I never wanted to revisit it. Maybe it would hit me differently now.

24. I have/had zero interest in Labor Day, and Men, Women, and Children, and The Front Runner. I'm a fan of his films I've seen, but maybe it's because of the people he's worked with?

I loved Up in the Air at the time, but in retrospect, it's so in line with that trend of older men meeting younger women and getting their lives together because of it.

With this talk of nepotism, I'm reminded of Sofia Coppola: to contrast, she has a more distinct style, and I'm usually interested in her films regardless of who's in them.

25. I heard Labor Day and Men, Women, and Children were bad. I honestly don't think I've heard of The Front Runner. How did this fly so low under the radar?