Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 182

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s not even that he said it’s the best sci-fi movie of the past ten years. He said it’s the ONLY GOOD sci-fi movie of the past ten years. I’m all for hot takes and people being passionate about obscure choices and going to the mat for them, but that is just objectively ridiculous.

coleslawed, Dinosaurs Dish and Davjs like this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

Does time travel make a movie count as Sci Fi? If so, Days of Future Past def needs to be added to the conversation of great Sci Fi movies in the last decade.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Agreed

4. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I treat all comic book movies more as fantasy, but I do love that movie

Provided I have not seen so many of them still, Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Inception, Ex-Machina, Annihilation, Edge of Tomorrow, Looper, Upgrade are all ones I absolutely love in that time period.

coleslawed and Davjs like this.
  5. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I wouldn’t say that movie was great or give it that distinction.

Cameron likes this.
  6. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

depends on your definition of sci-fi. Like is Children of Men sci-fi?

Davjs likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Absolutely

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Morrissey Jan 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 13, 2019)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Don't blame me, I didn't make the movies. Saying someone's view on film is "objectively ridiculous" is objectively ridiculous.

Some people brought up some other good ones, like Attack the Block and Under the Skin, though.

9. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i thought you liked children of men

10. Morrissey

Trusted

It is one of the best films ever made. It came out before Moon, though, and it feels limiting putting that as science fiction.

domotime2 likes this.
  11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Cmon man, it's ridiculous to say there hasn't been a good sci fi movie since 2009.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

Why would that be ridiculous if that is someone believed? I never did say that, though. People have brought up some other good ones and a lot of it depends on your definition of science fiction.

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It was certainly implied, so if you didn't mean it that way then you're outright trolling, so congrats on getting the response you wanted I guess.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

How am I trolling? We are having a good discussion of what it means to be a science fiction film and what were the good ones over the last decade.

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

No it isn’t. Saying, “I haven’t loved a science fiction film in ten years,” is an opinion and totally valid. Presenting what you said as some sort of fact about the genre is about as objectively untrue as you can get in this kind of discussion. There have been good sci-if films made this decade. That is a fact. What they are and how we rank them is open to limitless inferpretation and discussion, but their existence isn’t an opinion.

irthesteve likes this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

Whether or not a film is good or bad is an opinion. Why do you need other people to agree with you?

dadbolt, WordsfromaSong and CarpetElf like this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh my god.

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

No, you steered the conversation away from that and towards your oddly high pedestal of lording over other peoples' opinions about movies by implying that you haven't liked a sci fi movie in nine years. Don't be obtuse, you know what you were doing.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

I didn't lord over anyone's opinion. I just stated my own. There is someone saying there are "objectively good" films, though, which is more accurately lording over anyone's opinion.

I said Moon was really good. Some people brought up other movies that I like, and others brought up movies I didn't like. I didn't tell people that liked the new Blade Runner they were wrong; if they think it is good then it is good to them.

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Damn man who cares lol.

I'd dig a Barry Jenkins Sci Fi movie.

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This is boring, have fun trolling people.

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Is there a way to delete draft posts so they don’t pop up every time you go to a thread? I had a response but it’s absolutely not worth it.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

He's not trolling. He's just an English teacher haha.

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Purposefully implying something extremely uncommon and unpopular but then backing off on it later on acting like you didn't is definitely trolling.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

I remember in a law studies class in tenth grade our teacher would always quickly correct us whenever we started conversations with "I think...". She would say "We know you are thinking it, it is coming out of your mouth!"

Everyone knows that "good" and "bad" are opinions, but this seems to come up far more often than it should.