Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 179

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Are actors in Christian films usually Christian or have Christian backgrounds?

Sean Austin and Hayden Christensen have also played in Christian films.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sean Astin definitely is, don’t know much about Hayden Christensen. If it’s one of these super Christian, guaranteed to be terrible, bound for youth group viewing movies the cast is usually really religious or REALLY slumming it.

3. After watching Room yesterday, I may have gone into Martha Marcy May Marlene with the wrong mindset, because the ending solidifies that it's a movie with very different goals.

I found three theories as to what may have happened: 1) she's being followed by the cult (to either keep tabs or take her back)
    2) she being paranoid (and on the way to recovery)
    3) she's still part of the cult (and her sister/brother-in-law are doomed)

I kind of hated the ambiguity initially, but I guess it makes the most sense from a metaphorical perspective. What do you guys think of all this? going back to the mindset of Room, I'd like to think it's the second theory, but the movie itself doesn't leave much room for optimism.

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Does anybody here watch Boston Legal? I’m going through again and god it’s just so good.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

They have returned to YouTube under a new moniker, Breakfast AllDay

TJ Wells and Joe like this.
  6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Also they’ve been doing a podcast since the show ended.

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep. Now they're back to taking the title of Best Youtube Critics (crowning achievement right there) back from Double Toasted!

8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Christy is one of my favorite critics tbh. She just has an exuberance that I think is missing from a lot of criticism lately.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

So much amazing stuff, I'm fascinated by the Thoroughbreds/ Psycho double feature

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

Dang he was busy on 12/31. How does he have time to consume so much?

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

All About Eve/Barbarella would like a word.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

And Story of a Prostitute/The Americanization of Emily is pretty incredible too, although that makes a lot more sense.

13. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Being an insanely successful filmmaker probably helps.

14. Dog with a Blog

Yeah, I just assume he’s always workin on something ha

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

You can see where he starts production and then is watching cuts of his work in this. Very cool.

Also watching the roast of Bruce Willis and then Carnal Knowledge makes me feel very close to him. And watching Three Days of the Condor on Valentine’s Day, lol.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. SmithBerryCrunch Jan 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2019)
    SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't know where else to post this but I got some good laughs.

17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Shaq and John Oliver the MVPs right there

coleslawed and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I started watching Schitt's Creek like a month ago and after the first couple episodes I was like this is ok. I wasn't sure I would finish, but then I had nothing else to watch and just kept going and then I got so hooked. Such a great show, makes me laugh out loud all the time and surprisingly heartwarming. I can't wait for season 5, and I'll probably re-watch it soon cus I just want to keep hanging out with the Roses. Almost cried during the Christmas episode, which I had no idea was a thing until last night, so it was very exciting.

Kiana and TJ Wells like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

what how

20. Dog with a Blog

Hour and a half review of Oldboy (2013) lol

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Bill is such a dick

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

"Bill Camp, Victor Garber, Mare Winningham, William Jackson Harper and Bill Pullman also join the ensemble cast"

Chidi out here working with Jarmusch and Todd Haynes

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That caaaaaast!!

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ha, I was actually thinking about that this morning when all the Glass reviews hit. That article does a pretty good job of outlining the major issues with criticism at this point. I’m definitely not of the opinion like PTA that negative reviews should be done away with entirely, mostly because of what they get to later in the piece about how problematic work needs to be called out and loudly.

There is always something to be said about putting tremendous focus on being negative in viral ways instead of just giving a fair review, and some of that is certainly blown out of proportion. It’s kind of been going on as long as criticism has existed though, so not necessarily a new trend. The fact that we have social media does make it “louder” as they mentioned, but I don’t know if it has changed as a whole recently.

The idea of writing a scathing piece about something so forgettable that even your review won’t be worth remembering may be the strongest area of change. Having such a glut of media to write about leads to that sort of thing.

I honestly feel like a lot of reviews I’ve been reading lately have been more helpful than they used to be, except for the greats of course. There have been some good ones that helped me view movies I’d already seen in a new light and others that spelled out very clearly why something wouldn’t be worth my time without being just a total pan.

Joe likes this.