Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 170

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

That link is absolutely embarrassing. That is now how things work at all.

3. Dog with a Blog

More of a listening kinda thing

4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I get why Hollywood makes it...I dont get why people see it

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

They don’t lol maybe 1 of the 10 they make. I have seen this trailer in the cinema for a new weird one and that look kind of cool

6. Five episodes into True Detective S2, at this point I feel like everything's well executed except for the writing of the dialogue and the choreography of the violent bits, the awkwardness of which kind of take me out of it, almost entirely at some points.

7. Absolutely watch it. It's bloated compared to the simplicity of the first one, but the action is just as mind-blowing, if not more.

SpyKi, Davjs and Dog with a Blog like this.
  8. Davjs

Trusted

My view exactly.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

10. Kuri44

Very late to the game, but I just watched True Romance for the first time and it's immediately one of my all time favorite movies.

riotspray, angrycandy and SpyKi like this.
  11. Finished True Detective S2. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be as good as the first season, so I went in with lower expectations and I guess I wasn't disappointed. It's like when you make something with all the best ingredients but it still somehow doesn't turn out as well as you'd hoped, yet it still kind of sort of holds up due to the quality of the separate ingredients (pft, trying to make a food analogy, but I'm no cook). Very excited for S3, though, especially since they took their time with it this time around.

Thus marks the end of my 6 months of discounted HBO. I'd like to think I grew out of rankings/ratings, but since I'm listing what I've seen over this period, I figure I might as well. Not including GoT because I'd watched it previously, and anyway, trying to rank individual seasons of longer shows is generally just a pain in the butt.

Sharp Objects = True Detective S1 > Westworld S1 = Westworld S2 > The Leftovers S3 = Big Little Lies > The Leftovers S2 =The Sopranos S1 > The Leftovers S1 = True Detective S2 >>> I can't bring myself to watch any more Spawn, I guess it's just dated

coleslawed and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  12. xkaylinh Nov 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2018)
    I lied. My HBO doesn't end until tomorrow. Just watched The Tale. That was tough to get through. I kind of... like? that there's no over-the-top climax or a simple resolution neatly tied with a bow. The movie builds up to the confrontation and just kind of stops. I guess that's usually how real life is. Really loving Laura Dern after seeing this and Big Little Lies (and The Last Jedi); I can't remember seeing her in anything else before other than Jurassic Park when I was super young.

edit: and I just realized Elizabeth Debicki is in Widows, which somehow makes me more excited to see it... once I sign up for A-List next month.

domotime2 likes this.
  13. Cold Case is on the background and I now realise the meaning of comfort TV shows. I'm always stopping everything I'm doing when there's a rerun. Police procedurals usually bore me but this one stood out, the chemistry between the characters was excellent, as was the tackling of various sensible issues. This episode with Tessa Thompson that just finished is fantastic. Actually, those that bring up LGBT issues have been printed in my mind, even though I haven't seen some of them in more than a decade. The soundtrack also helped me discover so many bands through the seasons. I can't wait to finally watch it from beginning to end instead of random episodes once a in while, as it seems to have held up this decade following its final season.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Watched Paddington 2 last night....movie had no business being as good as it was. Got teary eyed multiple times.

Dodger likes this.
  15. Dog with a Blog

The post credits scene is incredible

16. Dog with a Blog Nov 19, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018)
    Dog with a Blog

I’ve watched about 7 hours of Haunting of Hill House today. Is there a science behind why I can watch 7 one hour installments but I’ll refrain from watching a 2 and a half hour movie (specifically at home) because it feels like such a commitment?

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm usually not able to watch more than 2 episodes of a show in a sitting. If I'm watching TV for that long I'd rather switch it up or just watch a movie

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I just can barely process one episode at a time

dadbolt and ChaseTx like this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

For the most part, television is made specifically in bite size chunks where story arcs begin, climax, and end within 21 or 42 minutes, so you could watch an episode or two and feel comfortable putting it down. Starting a movie is agreeing with yourself "Okay, I have to watch 2.5 hours of this one story right now without stopping" which can be daunting.

21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I tend to watch movies later at night and I get sleepy a lot so I'll pause it and come back to it the next day or whenever. I don't feel good doing it though, like I'm ruining the narrative momentum and will forget some details before I can finish the movie

riotspray likes this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, when watching a movie for the first time, I hate if I have to stop it for one reason or another. It always should be watched uninterrupted and distraction free.

AndrewSoup and coleslawed like this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I could never not finish a movie, seeing half a movie on tv or on a plane makes me feel like I'm missing something

coleslawed, Dog with a Blog and Davjs like this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, you literally are missing something.

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Although if I'm hating a movie or show, I'll walk out or turn it off with no issue whatsoever.