Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Enter Shikari - "The Spark" (September 22, 2017) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by MexicanGuitars, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

MS > CD > AFFOC > TS > TTTS but I really love them all and am bummed we prob won’t be getting an NA tour in 2019 since they seem to only tour here now in winter/spring

2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I am truly baffled by all these rankings.

3. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

Common Dreads is on another level and any other ranking, including The Spark being first, is just daft and wrong imo. It also features their best song, Fanfare of the Conscious Man.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  4. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Who would've thought that a band with lots variation in their sound over a decade would yield polarising views on what's their best material :chin:

5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

You mean a lot of wrong views.

Built to Fail likes this.
  6. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

I thought that it was universally agreed among big Shikari fans that either Common Dreads or Flash Flood were objectively their best but everyone has an opinion. I think the reason is that these albums featured Shikari at their most political. They were younger and full of angst and were always great at articulating the terrible nature of politics through pitch-perfect social commentary. Take to the Skies is hit and miss, Mindsweep has Dear Future Historians which will always make that album amazing and The Spark is just okay.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  7. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

The Spark is the album, in 10 years from now, I’m going to return to the most. Most applicable to my sensibilities and preferences going forward. AFFOC is incredible, I’d consider it their crowning achievement for what they could do with their “old” sound...but The Spark is their most accomplished and sophisticated album by far. The songwriting is just on another level, but if you don’t agree that’s completely fine.

8. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I mean...the lyrics are clunky and cringey as heck on The Spark.

9. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

I completely disagree

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Almost like people look for different things from different bands. If everyone liked the exact same music for the exact same reasons and had the exact same preference, there would be point in this forum.

Also I'm going to wager I'm one of the oldest fans of this band on the forum, having gotten into them in 2006 and seeing them in 2007 in a small room in Northampton. So naturally I have a lot of nostalgia for their older material.

11. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah, on the subject of lyrics...I’m hearing impaired so I never gave a shit about lyrics lol

But most of this bands lyrics are really cringy that’s what makes them fun

amorningofsleep likes this.
  12. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I liked your hipster "I liked them before they were both" comment because that was totally necessary information.

13. sawhney[rusted]2

Except it was relevant to the point he made.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  14. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

15. sawhney[rusted]2

:shrug:

whatever I love Enter Shikari that's all that matters

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Actually it was, he's saying he has nostalgia for their old material, but despite that still prefers the newer albums.

You're coming off a bit overly hostile man, not sure if you realize that but just letting you know. People can have different opinions on Enter Shikari than you lol.

17. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Dude, I was explaining why I might like certain material more than you. You're the one taking it a certain way. Read the persons post above and tell me if it seems unreasonable.

I do however take a big exception to your shitty attitude across these forums, I first noticed it in the MCS thread following the bracket, then the Pokemon Go thread where you (again) were called out on it.

You are allowed to have opinions and discuss stuff but time and time again you come across as hostile and aggressive. I come here to have fun and discuss things I enjoy with people. Maybe you need to calm down when you log in here because several people have called you out now, and I'm afraid it's not us with the issue here.

18. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

You're right. And what's worse is I keep apologizing and promising to change and not following through. I'm sorry for derailing your conversations and making it a place where you no longer could enjoy yourselves. I'm going to leave and try to figure out what the heck is wrong with me to keep doing this.

Have fun.

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Don't be hard on yourself dude, I've done the same in the past. And I've actually had some good interactions with you, I just think a bit like me you can be stubborn and hot headed.

No one wants to have bad conversations with someone else on these forums, including you. It's a problem in many aspects of this forum where people are arguing and being tense on here, and it really has flared up lately and many people have noticed it. We need to work it through as a community, cause this forum can be really fun for everyone when we are kinder, myself included.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  20. AshlandATeam Aug 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2018)
    AshlandATeam

Trusted

So is this still an album ranking thread? Because I was stoked to do that.

The Spark
    Flash Flood of Colour
    Common Dreads
    Take to the Skies
    The Mindsweep

I feel like if you shoved their singles (Destabilise, Hoodwinker, Redshift, etc) into an album, it may be in second place. I love their singles.

SamLevi11 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  21. Night_Sky

Regular

Including EP's as well as some of my favourite material from the band is on them.

Take To The Skies
    Rat Race EP
    The Zone EP
    The Spark
    Nodding Acquaintence EP= Sorry You're Not A Winner EP ('03)
    Common Dreads
    The Mindsweep
    A Flash Flood of Colour = Tribalism

22. BenSmith94

Trusted

Common Dreads
    The Spark
    A Flash Flood of Colour
    The Mindsweep
    Take to the Skies

I don't dislike any of those albums either. TTTS Had some great individual tracks/ideas, but there's some bad songs on that record (No Ssssweat, Return to Energiser).

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  23. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I just want it on record that No Ssssweat is a terrible title for a song, but I could not love it more.

24. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

No Ssssweat and Return To Energizer are both great.

25. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

adding to the Shinrin-yoku love from earlier - there are not many full-body goosebump moments in this discography but "we are the dust on the stained glass windows" absolutely is one