Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emulators

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Tim McCall, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Tim McCall

Regular

Anyone else into old school gaming and emulators? I have an old Mac Mini (2007) with Retroarch setup with a decent library. I'm thinking of scrapping it for a Raspberry Pi setup.

2. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

I used to have an old Gameboy Color emulator on my phone but not really a fan of touch screen controls for controller designed games. I've also used esxi for PS1 games on my desktop and an emulator I can't remember the name of for PS2 games, though I never got that to run well so I ended up just buying a PS2. Also used a Vita emulator to play Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep because even though the Vita supports PSP emulation natively neither of those games are available digitally so you can't play them on a Vita. Thanks Square!

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Is it PCSX2 because I finally got mine working hahaha, took like 4 months (not constantly trying to figure it out every day of 4 months of course)

4. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

Yup that's the one! I worked okay for some games, but I like racing games and basically any one of those would just chug. Nascar Thunder 2003 specifically, if there were more than about 5 cars on the screen at one it would drop to 30FPS or below, and since PS2 games (and most console games for that matter) tied internal engine speak to frame rate it was literally like playing that game in slow motion haha

5. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I gotcha haha I haven't tried any racing games with it. I've tried some FF games and .hack// games and they've all ran perfectly, but I can definitely see how it'd be more sluggish for racing games.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

can you play old gameboy games on iphone? :S

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Jail broken yes. Normal no.

8. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

I use OpenEmu for OS X and love it.

OpenEmu

9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

this is the absolute best for os x. works great with a wii u pro controller too. perfection.

PyramidPostcard likes this.
  10. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I use Dolphin the most often for GameCube games. I also use Project64 for N64 stuff.

11. RigoSoFar

Emulators are an absolute godsend and are the main reason why I stay gaming on PC as opposed to consoles. Would really love to build a dedicated old-school console emulation machine via Raspberry Pi as OP had stated, but never really got around to it.

12. Tim McCall

Regular

Did you update to Dolphin 5.0?

13. Tim McCall

Regular

I love Openemu. I keep it on my main computer. I wish they would be more open to older OS like Retroarch.

14. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

any one know of a good step-by-step guide for setting up a Rasberry Pi emulator?

15. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

I've been meaning to get around to doing something similar and have this guide bookmarked.

sean_rugy likes this.
  16. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

perfect, thank you. I have off next Friday so I may try and get this together. I've been putting it off for so long.

17. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

Report back with how it goes! Very curious if it's as easy as is made out.

I'll be doing the same shortly and would love some DO's DON'Ts that most guides don't cover.