Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Empty Country - Empty Country (early 2020) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by genericities, Aug 7, 2019.

1. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

It really is fantastic

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

4. Rowan5215

crazy how "Becca" was my upbeat toe-tapper of the year until I read the lyrics and now it scares me

5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

southern cloud too good

EmmanuelSCastle and Ben like this.
  7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

this is a coward's review. it's not poorly written exactly but it talks more about cymbals than this record and is about as descriptive as a press release while saying nothing in particular that engages w the music itself on its own terms :/

8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Wow I am a fool for waiting almost a whole week to listen to this.

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Swim is like, breathtakingly gorgeous

10. EmmanuelSCastle Mar 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2020)
    EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it's crazy how much more i like the singles in their respective contexts -- like, this is just a really well sequenced album to me. nothing here kills the momentum

Rowan5215, Ben and jordalsh like this.
  11. Rowan5215

Mary V and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

wish he had broken up the stretch of untitled -> chance -> emerald

13. Wouldn’t be mad if that instrumental bridge in Swim went for 5 minutes.

14. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

this is the album i will think of when i think back to these times

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. This, Dogleg, Nnamdï, Waxahatchee. my quarantine sounds

Mary V and wisdomfordebris like this.
  16. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Dogleg, this, waxahatchee and all things Ben Gibbard since we’ve been watching his streams every day.

jordalsh likes this.
  17. radiodead

Trusted

Porridge Radio, Waxahatchee, Dogleg, Empty Country, U.S. Girls, Soccer Mommy and Yves Tumor.

Mary V and wisdomfordebris like this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

me at karaoke

Jim, jordalsh and Rowan5215 like this.
  19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

she was a blue baby

Leftandleaving likes this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I was just coming in here to say that I really like how this album starts out, then it starts to lose me around Chance.

21. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Untitled thru Emerald is my fav stretch heh.

22. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I wouldn't have thought it given how beautiful Marian is but Ultrasound might be the best song on the album

I don't even know how to describe the music and I have no idea what he's singing about but the energy in the song is so undeniable

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I love the whole album but I can see why that part of the album might drag a little for ppl

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

idk, i mean i "get" why it might drag, but i don't think those songs make sense in very many other places. the album is half ballads and even among those "chance" and "emerald" are outliers (tonally darker than the rest), so i feel like it makes more sense to group them together along with "untitled" as a sustained mood piece that transitions well as opposed to separating them and having these question marks that end up either interrupting the bangers or just having a different set of ballads run together but less cohesively. i guess i could see sticking "diamond" between "chance" and "emerald" to pick up the energy w a banger that's not as bright sounding. i think "ultrasound" would become the sore thumb then but there's def an argument to be made about one song sticking out vs three ballads killing the momentum (if the latter is how you feel). or you can put "ultrasound" between them and have the autobiographical family songs be the triptych heart of the album, but unless it's a concept album i think a musical connection is stronger than a lyrical one for sequencing