Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Empty Country - Empty Country (early 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by genericities, Aug 7, 2019.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah I'm thinking Marian getting taken off is a good sign

Carrow likes this.
  2. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

am still seeing Marian on Spotify

3. Mélange

Regular

Marian has been off of Apple Music since right after they announced TE went bust, and they were considering their options.

It is still on Bandcamp.

It’s still a few weeks away from the planned release date, so hoping there will be some news soon.

Carrow likes this.
  4. Weird that it’s still on Spotify but I’m not mad at it. Hope we hear about the record soon

5. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

more the fact that they’re not showing any signs of being active at all as a band. This record is obviously complete so whatever happens I’m sure it will eventually find it’s way out into the world, but you couldn’t blame them if they’re so jaded by what went down with TE and this record getting shelved that they end up taking an indefinite break from music

6. genericities

I need SWIM in my life :/

it’s sad and unfortunate how this has all played out. hopefully the album gets a deserving rollout and we don’t have to wait too long.

7. yung_ting

Trusted

There’s no way he shelves a record he’s excited about, it’s probably just being shopped while they resolve the legal shit. Can’t imagine we don’t see this in Q2

Carrow and genericities like this.
  8. Lucyford7

BrynneC.

My guess is we will see another single in March and album in June. My guesses for which label picks them up is... either Triple Crown, Topshelf, but ultimate pick and best fit would be Polyvinyl. The first three tracks we’ve heard is very promising. Tiny Engines has went from arguably the best indie label the past four years, in ten years they will have at least ten albums that are viewed as legendary, Wild Pink, Restorations, Strange Ranger, The Hotelier, these four bands and a whole slew of others with ground breaking LP’s. The first four will be making great albums for decades.

Leftandleaving and Carrow like this.
  9. genericities

what about Run for Cover?

10. TheBaroness

A lot of those smaller labels would already have their releases for the year planned and budgeted so it’s not as simple as saying someone else of that ilk can just pick it up and release it soon, and I’m guessing there weren’t a ton of pre orders so it’s probably going to be a big upfront undertaking by someone to do a run of say 1000 records in the hopes that word of mouth about this band eventually catches on. TE died because they signed too many bands and released too many albums that, while critically acclaimed, didn’t sell enough copies. Any of the above labels would be super wary about going down that path.

coleslawed likes this.
  11. Lucyford7

BrynneC.

I really can’t keep count but now you bring them up and Yes!!! Would be perfect fit! One of my favorite labels! Would love to see Restorations go on there also!

12. Lucyford7

BrynneC.

Agree, it’s like the auto market, the built too many cars and similar models and couldn’t sell and lost money. I see the future for bands as a lot of in house DIY if they can pull it off. Wild Pink and Restorations and only a few of the Tiny Engines could do it. It’s sad to see all of this with so many great up and coming bands

TheBaroness likes this.
  13. TheBaroness

I think for bands with established, loyal fan bases and those who’ve reached the peak in the growth of their popularity the DIY/self/crowd-funded route (with some outside PR help) makes a lot of sense. Newer bands who are trying to establish themselves and get critical and word of mouth attention are the ones who probably benefit most from a label of the style of Tiny Engines or RFC, Topshelf etc where it almost becomes more about curation in the end - people check out a band primarily because that label is releasing their music and has such a strong track record of taste-making. I still see that model as having value, you just need to be better than TE at reigning in your enthusiasm, keeping tight control of your costs and not treating your artists like shit.

14. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I really hope we hear what's going on with this record soon. I need Joe's voice.

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Bandcamp says this releases digitally April 24th now

16. yay!

17. awesome!

18. KeynDooee

Living Legend

Happy Birthday to me.

coleslawed likes this.

19. Fuck Tiny Engines, now and forever.

KidLightning likes this.
  20. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Bummed that it’s not out until April, but I can’t wait to hear it!

21. Was expecting it to be released a lot later than April. Really happy that the delay isn’t too long.

22. TheBaroness

Me too, very pleasantly surprised with this outcome

LWS likes this.
  23. Haruni

Regular

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

damn, good review though!! excited for the diversity of sounds since the singles didn't really hint at some of those other elements (not gonna say which specifically in case anyone wants to hold off on reading it til the record is out)

KidLightning and Carrow like this.
  25. genericities Feb 20, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2020)
    genericities

Carrow likes this.