Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jordalsh, Sep 11, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

to be fair, very rarely is the discussion "great lyrics in emo"

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

You’d be surprised haha

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i know a lot of people did not like his lyrical shift later on for the newest album since it was "too" personal

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

tag me in next time it takes place and I'm unaware!

this is baffling, first due to the genre and second because... all the songs were personal, even if not all of them were autobiographical. a shift in songwriting style was what I thought was people's issue w it. tbh in hindsight feel like expectations were set incredibly high following up What It Takes to Move Forward

Zac Djamoos and jordalsh like this.
  5. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I think the lyrical shift just removed the ambiguity of what the songs were actually about for a lot of people, meaning they were less able to interpret those lyrics themselves and apply it to what was going on in their own lives, and thus probably found it harder to emotionally connect with. Also from memory it was released within a week or so of Kingfisher, so... What a blessed time that was in this scene. I really miss this band, cyls, and everything they helped build at a time when no one else paid attention to this kind of music.

Personally, I think the second full length has some of their best songs, I randomly find myself humming melodies from it even when I haven't listened to it in months.

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oof. coming out the same day as kingfisher would be rough for sure. I wanna do a more in depth listen paying attention to the different lyrical styles, i can't say it's something I've examined closely

7. bless them for writing a song that rocks as hard as this one, they really didn't have to do that

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.