Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Eminem - Kamikaze (August 31, 2018) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

out on a limb here but i think i know why people are giving him shit for it

beachdude, Tomozaurus and DarkHotline like this.
  2. Cmoney86

Trusted

why?

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

To me that line being on an Eminem album in 2020, the year in which he will turn 48, symbolizes the wasted potential that is post 2002 Eminem. It’s all so played out. Commercial success aside, he could have had such meaningful career, but instead he has done the same washed up shit for so long now.

EDIT: That’s not to say you can’t stick to what you do best (see Snoop), I just think that Eminem’s shtick is particularly unsuited to do that.

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

whoops

[​IMG]

Joe4th likes this.
  5. manoverboard365

Trusted

Yah Yah, Godzilla, Lock it Up and Darkness are probably the only songs you need to hear on this.
    That said, I really enjoy those 4 songs and have been playing them a lot this week.

6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I still have no idea if I'll listen to this. I probably listened to 5 total minutes of Kamikaze and didn't finish one song

I just hate the way he raps now and his punchlines are abysmal

I saw someone quote the line about pupils and cornea or whatever and I laughed. In a bad way

7. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Listened to this (the new album) last week and there were legit moments where I had to stop typing or whatever I was doing at work at the time and mumbled “holy shit” to myself because of the speed of his rapping. Not sure which song it was but he has a few moments on 2-3 songs where, regardless of what the lyrics were, his speed and consistency at that speed literally floored me. For someone doing this as long as he has it was still shocking that he had that in him (regardless of how many takes it did or did not take to achieve it lol)

8. The Lucky Moose Jan 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 23, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

According to all the people I know that rap, rapping fast isn’t actually very difficult, it just sounds crazy. That’s not to diminish Eminem’s ability.

riotspray likes this.
  9. btr

Trusted Supporter

10. The Lucky Moose

11. manoverboard365

Trusted

All that IG post did was make me remember how amazing a song Renegade is.

beachdude, riotspray and Sean Murphy like this.
  12. The Lucky Moose

It is. At that point that image still worked.

riotspray likes this.
  13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

gotta have unlimited data to listen wherever/whenever you want. I download stuff to my phone so I can listen in the car (or anywhere without wifi) without burning up all my data.

mike1885 likes this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

here's mine

16. The Lucky Moose

The Pitchfork review for this is really good. It's by one of their few contributors I respect when it comes to rap.

pbueddi likes this.
  17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Performing at the Oscars? Why?

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

cause he has an oscar?

19. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I get that now. Still think they could have used that time to have someone else sing a song from a currently nominated film. I know it went along with the bit before, but still.

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  23. Serh Mar 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2020)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

so... i finally got around to playing this a few times after leaving it on the backburner for so long, and i really think it's mostly good. i don't wanna be THAT asshole who can't give minimal props to a new eminem album without also throwing other em albums under the bus, so i'm gonna say that brandishing sharper verses with a much improved guest list and beats that at the very least are matched well with what he's spitting is a good color on him

that said, it could've been great, maybe even his best in over 17 years, but it's still got a sizable amount of his modern day flaws. there's some bullshit puns (a couple itt have been mentioned here, i think), some filler, he'll still tend to champion technique over saying something beyond a mere strand of resonance, and he'll keep going back to wells he drew from way too often previously. like, dude, get over the fact that people didn't love your second worst album.

overall pretty solid. might be better than mmlp2 (an album that's decidedly also better than i initially remembered), and should've been no more than the length of kamikaze with only the best dozen or so songs. won't be a top 30 or anything, but it's a large step in the right direction/step away from the wrong one. plus there's several songs i'm confident i'll be coming back to for some time, which is a nice feeling

24. Serh Mar 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2020)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

top 3: yah yah, no regrets, never love again

worst/only bad songs: the one with ed sheeran, godzilla (save for juice's hook), marsh, farewell, little engine, crook's verse on i will

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I think it's his best album since Relapse personally