Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 21, 2020.

1. AMC

Regular

To be fair I have no clue about this? Let me google this.

2. AMC

Regular

Wow! I can't believe hes such a creep. Very Disappointing. I hate hearing bad things about artists/sports figures/actors that I enjoy. Ugh

3. Allhailburnzy

Trusted Supporter

I constantly think about how if any other non white hip hop artist ever made a song like Kim their career would be ruined.

As someone who used to be a die hard Eminem fan and even has used the "he's just playing a character" defense that song is disgusting.

Especially when you read up on how his verbal abuse in songs/ at his live show led to her suicide attempt.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  4. ScruffGruff

Umm.. you realize Chris brown is still a relevant artist in 2020.. right?

5. AMC

Regular

He is? What hit songs has he had?

6. PissinintheWind

Not Miserable Now

Obviously it’s awful your friend got abused by him but I would say it’s a leap to assume he supports Jesse Lacey’s actions because he enjoys a brand new album. Assholes can make good art

ScruffGruff likes this.
  7. Abuse isn’t just being an asshole, declaring praise or support for said abuser’s “art” in public is more than enough for me to know I don’t give a fuck about your opinion on anything. Assholes can make good art, but if you’re the kinda person that keeps praising it in public, you’re an asshole too. Easy math.

8. ScruffGruff

now THIS makes no sense.

please show me the mental gymnasrics you used to come up with this mathematical equation. 10/10 you can’t do it and just ban me instead.

9. Cipher

Lyrically impressive, legitimately messed up in places, and questionable on every level. A seminal album for reasons beyond the normal "is it good or not" debate that defines a critic's job.

As for this review, it's not particularly impressive. But it's a tough album to write about in the first place. You can't remove it from 2000 or the current year, nor can you remove its impact. I sympathize with anyone who tries to review it in 2020.

ScruffGruff likes this.
  10. ScruffGruff

Best comment yet. Thank you for real insight.

11. ScruffGruff

He’s charted quite a bit within the last year. You can google that. See also XXXtentacion. There’s no shortage of assholes in the entertainment industry (just like there is no shortage of assholes in any other sector of society). That includes white, black, latinx, or any other race. It’s one thing we all have in common.

AMC likes this.
  12. PissinintheWind

Not Miserable Now

I don't understand your logic and math is hard, so i won't hold that against you.

It would be nice to be able to have an exchange of differing ideas and opinions without people instantly being shouted down but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible here.

Personally i don't like Brand New or their music but just because someone does and praises their music, in no way makes that person an asshole

Quercus and ScruffGruff like this.
  13. thisisasong

I like how you censor “bitch” depending on the context.

14. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

There's a difference between privately enjoying music due to nostalgic, sentimental attachment and promoting it and praising to the world about how awesome the abuser who wrote it is tho

Mary V and Serh like this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Im so fucking sick and tired of people like you pretending that what youre really looking for is a good faith discussion.

Yes, someone continuing to champion brand new and their music in 2020, knowing fully what happened, absolutely makes you a fucking asshole, because youre telling other people that THAT doesnt bother you.

Log completely off.

Serh likes this.
  16. longtimelurker

There are some lines (usually homophobic that give me an auto recoil) used in some Eminem songs that put me off , but I can't imagine not recommending this album as a must listen when it comes to his catalog.

It is kind of sad in the comments seeing people attack others because they have an avatar of a band they like instead of discussing the actual topic.

I know a lot of people, myself included who still like Brand New's music but feel gross about Jesse's actions - I wouldn't personally have it as an avatar, but assuming the worst of people because of one thing is shitty.

17. PissinintheWind

Not Miserable Now

Hey let's agree to disagree. You seem to not be able to seperate a bands music and one person in that bands actions.

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

make it stop