Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emery Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Apr 26, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

That's awesome! Yeah I'm listening to the first few albums and they're REALLY consistent, very glad I finally got deeper into them.

teebs41 likes this.
  2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Eff yea emery is the best. Can't wait to see if they put out a new record this year

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's funny they come from the post hardcore scene but they don't have the whiny vocals. I don't think there is a band that sounds like them

beachdude42 likes this.
  4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Honestly they are probably my bands strongest influence but we never name drop them bc no one knows who they are ha. We have two songs on our upcoming ep that has crazy emery vibes on it, ill be sure to post them in here when it comes out next week

coleslawed and beachdude42 like this.
  5. beachdude

Yeah agreed, both lead vocalists are top notch and have really distinctive, powerful voices.

Dope, I'll definitely listen to those!

teebs41 likes this.
  6. josephcissell

Regular

I completely agree. Everything clicked on that album for me. I still go back to it every few months.

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. Lucas27

Trusted

I feel like I've finally settled on an Emery album ranking in my head:

1. ...In Shallow Seas We Sail
    2. The Question
    3. You Were Never Alone
    4. The Weak's End
    5. We Do What We Want
    6. I'm Only a Man

...In Shallow Seas is basically all of Emery's iconic qualities turned up to 10. The Question is the band's most cohesive record to listen to front to back. You Were Never Alone is probably the band's most innovative record, although I don't personally love the production in certain spots. The Weak's End is a classic album, but it's still obviously a debut. WDWWW has an unbelievably strong and underrated front-half ("Cheval Glass" and "I'm Not Here for Rage..." are two of my favorite Emery songs), but the end of the record brings the album down considerably. And I can count on one hand the number of songs I go back to on I'm Only a Man. Still a very weird album even though there's nothing on it I can really point to as "bad."

8. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Mine at this point is probably.

1. ...In Shallow Seas We Sail
    2. I'm Only A Man
    3. You Were Never Alone
    4. The Question
    5. We Do What We Want
    6. The Weak's End

...In Shallow Seas I just find to be flawless. And I connect to that album a lot on a personal level. I'm Only a Man I used to be my least favorite, but listening to it past few months it's connected a lot more. I feel like it's kind of misunderstood in a way. The song writing, and simplicity in the songs is brilliant. You Were Never Alone is really diverse. That album basically covers the entire spectrum of what Emery does, while also adding a bit more to that spectrum. The Question is really good, I feel like it's a fairly definitive record for the band. Showcases there ability to write "big" song (Studying Politics), and also a bit of there experimental side (Win Win and Lose Lose). We Do What We Want is super cool and underrated. It was the first album I listened to by the band. It's heavier as a whole than there other stuff, which is interesting. It's a cool little outlier in their discography I feel, where they pushed the post-hardcore elements to max. And also, with Toby doing all the writing/vocals. The Weak's End I still find solid all the way through, but there are points where it's obvious it's their first album. The production could be better, the vocals were still developing, and the music was unrefined.

9. Lucas27

Trusted

I need to keep going back. I'm waiting for it to suddenly hit me one time. As it is, "The Party Song," "World Away," "After the Devil Beats His Wife," and "From Crib to Coffin" are the only songs on that record I really enjoy all that much.

10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

It took a long time for it to hit me. I will say, watching the making of DVD that comes with the deluxe CD also helped me appreciate the album more. There's not a single Emery song I don't like at this point though.

11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Hmm my order is

1. The question
    2. Shallow seas
    3. Weaks end
    4. Ywna
    5. Only a man
    6. We do what we want

6 full lengths can't wait for the next one

kyle likes this.
  12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

1. YWNA
    2. The Question
    3. Shallow Seas/Weak's End
    4. We Do What We Want
    5. Only A Man

I was floored by YWNA when I heard it, I'm not sure they'll write a better record. The songwriting is just magnificent in my opinion and I wish more people who used to listen to this genre heard it. I think Question gets a nostalgia boost but it's got a lot of career highlights. Shallow Seas is great but I didn't listen to it much when it came out so it doesn't have that hold in my mind. The Weak's End for a long time probably would've been lower but in the past couple years I've realized how perfect it is when you're in the right mood. Like someone else said WDWWW is front loaded but the back half and most of Man are forgettable.

teebs41 likes this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

this is weird, but i was recovering from donating a kidney when YWNA came out and i loved it and listened it it a lot but I was also feeling really crappy for a while, so when I listen to it I'm almost brought back to that time

14. That's how I would probably rank them

15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just put all their albums back on my iPod. Going to have a good day tomorrow!!

coleslawed likes this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

been listening to the discog on shuffle, damn does Matt know how to use good guitar tones. like seriously the best distortion tones in the scene.. Also hes always doing so much great stuff on guitar that is so easy to over look. he's probably by biggest inspiration as far as ROCK guitar writing

js977 likes this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

where is @The Mysterious I figured he would be all over this emery discussion!!!!!

18. DesolateEarth

Birb

In Shallow Seas We Sail will probably always be my favorite from these guys. Gotta give YWNA another try though. "Hard times" is a jam.

teebs41 likes this.
  19. beachdude

I totally agree with this... I feel like they were one of the first bands in this genre to really attempt to transition to a more mainstream alternative rock sound, and imo it worked really well.

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

21. JettaPA

I mean, its innovative and I get what they were going for, but there is still too many songs on the album that just fall flat. I love the ambition they showed to move outside of their box, and they get points for that, but there are just too many stinkers on it for me to rank it over any of their other stuff outside of WDWWW.

22. JettaPA

BTW, I really like your stuff. You definitely have that great Emery vocal "flow" that I love while not just being a carbon copy of them.

teebs41 likes this.
  23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Thanks!! Really appreciate you checking it out. Yea we try to blend a ton of stuff, but emery just happens to be a band that everyone in the band loves. So at times we find ourselves at the end saying wow that totally sounds like something they would do. In the third track (the consequence) when the bass and kick pedal line up, that wasn't planed to be something they do but it's something they do all the time haha

24. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

LP7 crowd fund goes live today at 7

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

is that the "secret announcement" ?

beachdude42 likes this.