Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emery Band • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

Ya know...I've always loved The Question and have called it my favorite for a lot time, but last year I was on a huge Shallow Seas kick and I really think it might be their best and most solid record. The Question is the most nostalgic and has some absolute killer tracks and I still would probably call it my favorite in a moments notice, but Shallow Seas is so great. I'm Only A Man has grown on me a lot too over the years, I just wish the production wasn't so bad in parts. The only one that hasn't really stuck with me is WDWWW but You Wanted It has got to be one of my favorite Emery songs, or at least my favorite on the album by a long shot.

Edit: also YWNA is great and What's Stopping You is fucking top tier.

2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

ISSWS is my favourite but, like you, nostalgia keeps The Weak's End & The Question up there. I'm a big fan of I'm Only A Man too.

3. JettaPA

Heh, I actually think You Wanted It is probably one of my least favorite tracks on WDWWW. I actually really like that album outside of Fix Me which IMO drags down the whole thing. If they would have just put Crumbling on instead of Fix Me, that album would be infinitely better, I have no idea why they reserved Crumbling for the deluxe edition, real shame.

4. JettaPA

Also wanted to add, Pink Slip might just be the greatest Emery song ever conceived.

5. JettaPA

I think saying both WDWWW and IOAM are half-filler is a little harsh on those albums. I've been listening to their entire catalog a lot lately, and honestly there are 3, maybe 4 songs total (all from those two albums) that I can say I don't really enjoy on any level.

6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

When I listen to ISSWS I really like it but it just never connected with me and doesn't stand out in my head. I think YWNA is my favorite, followed by question or weeks end.

The Mysterious likes this.
  7. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

Matt mentioned in an interview wayyy back when that the interesting thing about recording ISSWS is he did it all with one guitar, which further cements his creative genius.

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

He also recorded a lot of that album direct. I'm thinking about doing that a bit with the out of service lp, we have a mixer who has access to hundreds of digital amps, allows you to control the sound completely in the mixing stages

9. The Mysterious

Nice, didn't know you were an Emery fan!

What's Stopping You is pinnacle writing for sure. All the band's stops were pulled out for that one and it remains, imo, a flawlessly structured 4 minutes.

coleslawed, Bloodsucker II and js977 like this.
  10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think what's stopping you is their best song. At the very least it has become my favorite. God damn that bridge/outro.

11. Lucas27

Trusted

I've always said ISSWS and The Question are the two best Emery albums but I don't know of another album that has continued to get better over time like You Were Never Alone. All my initial gripes with that record slowly fade with every listen and I find more things to love about every single song.

js977 likes this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

Yep. Pretty sure The Question was the first thing I heard that was part of "the scene." I distinctly remember listening to it one night on my sister's desktop one night and falling in love lol

Before Emery, I mainly listened to Chevelle, and then I heard The Question and that opened up a whole world of music

js977 likes this.
  13. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

“Filler” doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy them, but they’re not great by any means. I could skip them. I wouldn’t add them to a playlist.

14. jordanjohnson09

Regular

some east coast dates in november!

js977 likes this.
  15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

where? didn't see anything on their fb

16. jordanjohnson09

Regular

11/13 - Charlotte (Neighborhood Theatre)
    11/14 - Richmond (Canal Club)
    11/15 - Baltimore (Ottobar)
    11/16 - Philly (Voltage Lounge)
    11/17 - NYC (Bowery Electric)
    11/18 - Rochester (Funk N Waffles)
    11/19 - Cleveland (Beachland Ballroom)

Tix are on this site if you search: Afton Tickets: Purchase live event tickets

truelovewaits and js977 like this.
  17. jordanjohnson09

Regular

they have it up under tour dates on their facebook

18. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

WOAH I JUMPED BACK A PAGE AND SAW SOME RANKINGS. This content always cuts when it's cliche:

1) Shallow Seas
    2) The Question
    3) I'm Only A Man
    4) The Weak's End
    6) YWNA
    7) WDWWW

0) While Broken Hearts Prevail ** I prefer listening to this over Shallow Seas because it's short and more satisfying IMO

awakeohsleeper, teebs41 and js977 like this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Easiest 12 bucks I have ever spent

js977 likes this.
  20. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Ten Talents is one of my favorite Emery songs, but I'm also a Devin fanboy, so that makes sense.

awakeohsleeper and teebs41 like this.
  21. The Mysterious

I'm getting so tired of being 3+ hours away from these shows. You would think more bands would play the capitol district...nope. Albany gets passed up by everyone now.

22. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

That's Milwaukee in a nut shell. For some reason, every band that makes the rare decision to hit Wisconsin in combo with a Chicago date decides to play Madison instead. :/

23. The Mysterious

@teebs41, check your email. There should be the full Emery biography book pdf download waiting for you.

teebs41 likes this.
  24. JettaPA

I loved YWNA from the beginning but I didn't want to go overboard and put it up at the top with it only being out for a short while. Now, IMO, its fair to say its right up there at the top with The Question and ISSWS. My only gripe is how short it is, 1 song over 4 mins long.

25. JettaPA

I still kinda wish they kept the two songs from WBHP off of ISSWS and left the EP as its own thing.