Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emery - Eve (November 9, 2018) Album • Page 28

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

1. In Shallow Seas We Sail
    2. You Were Never Alone
    3. The Question
    4. Eve
    5. We Do What We Want
    6. The Weak's End
    7. I'm Only a Man

Honestly, Eve is probably #5 or #6 for me in reality at this moment, but I'm going on and putting it at #4 because I know it's moving up as it grows on me. I just haven't had the chance to listen like I should. I also usually do a full discography run leading up to new releases but didn't get the chance to with Emery. Need to do so. I wonder how different my ranking would look.

I have high hopes for Eve because YWNA has grown on me more than maybe any album ever. I liked it on first listen, but with time I've come to adore it.

teebs41 likes this.
  2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This record grows on me with every listen. Its quickly becoming my favorite release of theirs- crazy.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I haven't played it nearly enough. It's weird I enjoy the record I just haven't gone back to it a whole lot and I'm not sure why.

teebs41 likes this.
  4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Unpopular opinion, I'm sure, but here is my listing:

1. In Shallow Seas We Sail
    2. Eve
    3. I'm Only a Man
    4. The Question
    5. You Were Never Alone
    6. We Do What We Want
    7. The Weak's End

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I’m in a similar boat. I think the general shortness of the songs hurt them and they could’ve used a little more structure, which feels weird to say bc going away from more traditional things is usually a plus. Idk, aside from some standout moments I still leave each listen having forgotten what a lot of it sounded like. Still, each actual listen is quite enjoyable.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  6. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Yeah the two interludes back to back is a strange choice to say the least. Overall it flows fine but it does feel a little thrown together at times. The sequencing could be a bit better imo.

bachna84 and disambigujason like this.
  7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Story About a Man with a Bad Heart is easily one of my all-time favorite Emery songs.

8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

1. The Weak's End
    2. The Question
    3-4. Eve and We Do What We Want
    5. You Were Never Alone
    6. In Shallow Seas We Sail
    7. I'm Only a Man

Never got into In Shallow Seas like almost everyone else. The songs hold almost no emotional/nostalgic value for me...

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d your skip gone on apple mysic?

10. Colin Your Enthusiasm

I'm still playing the other version haha. Gonna try it on apple music today!

teebs41 likes this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yes! in honor of me seeing them

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

is anyone going tonight! always love a good chorus meet up!!

13. Gooddayz

always and forever

Given Eve a handful of listens now and while it's not as hard hitting as I was expecting there's this sense I'm listening to something special. It's getting better and better and my gosh do Toby and Devin compliment each other so well.

14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Like PB & J

Gooddayz, teebs41 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that’s why I love it so much, it focuses on them as a vocal demo so perfectly.

16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Holy eff this band is incredible. Great show tonight, Toby and Devin sounded incredible and the new songs sounded great. Picked up colored vinyl of eve so now I have two variants.. oh well

17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Was the show somewhat empty? I only ask because Schuylar from HIL posted a video and it looked like it wasn’t that packed.

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Haha! I appreciate the I'm Only A Man love because that is a great and under-appreciated record. The only thing I can't get with is seeing The Weak's End below We Do What We Want... but I respect your opinion!

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

No it was actually packed. I’d say it did really well. May have looked a little empty during the he is legend set tho, outside of I am Hollywood people didn’t seem to know them well

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t take a ton of video but you can see how close I was in this one haha

21. Relistening to Eve and it is as great as I remember. For some reason, I get Christmas-y vibes from a few specific songs, and it kind of sounds like they went back to unusual melodies and chord progressions like in The Question. It's quickly becoming my third favorite record.

awakeohsleeper and teebs41 like this.
  22. mattylikesfilms Nov 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2018)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

You may be right about having WDWWW ranked above Weaks End hahah.

But yeah- I love I’m Only a Man. It has some filler tracks, sure, but it has a lot of fantastic songs too and some of them are my all time favorite Emery songs. I never understood the hate.

23. aspeedomodel

I warmed up to I'm Only A Man in the last like 2 years or less. I hated it on release and I don't even know why...

24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I think it was a product of the time to hate it. People seemed to react against the poppy nature of some of the songs in that era. I don't think it is actually that poppy, but if it had come out 2010-2012 or later, it would have probably fit in a lot more easily. I remember the vibe was you basically weren't meant to like that kind of style and everyone criticising bands that moved in that direction. Again, I don't think it was that much a departure - it's all about perception (ie. releasing The Party Song as the first single, having a title like that and The Movie Song on a record etc.)

25. aspeedomodel

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I think I had moved on to different genres and after In Shallow Seas didn't move me much, I think I checked I'm Only A Man out only for the heck of it. Never gave it a full chance/listen. It is quite good in retrospect.