Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emarosa Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Man, I'm the complete opposite. I thought them with Jonny felt kinda boring and just kind of like something to back Jonny's voice, but I think Versus and 131 are both really cool albums. 131 has become one of my favorites of the year already.

beachdude42 and Daniel182 like this.
  2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah idk. I'm enjoying this more than Versus and s/t.

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Idk man I think the music on Relativity drives that album as much as Johnny does and it feels like it has way more of a sonic identity to it than this album does to me. The selftitled is a bit bland but I still get more out of it musically than this. The EP is still far and away my favourite thing they've done though in every way, ha. That thing feels like the apocalypse to me.

4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Yeah. I don't know. Getting into the Downtown Battle Mountain albums recently, I think DGD is the only thing I enjoy Jonny in. I think it might have a lot to do with DGD being so musically prolific that even Jonny's inhuman singing talent can't completely outshine the music.

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The ep is awesome yes @SpyKi

SpyKi likes this.
  6. SpyKi

"The Past Should Stay Dead" and "Set it Off Like Napalm" are my two favorite Jonny songs. "Times New Roman" is probably third.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  7. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I remember Set It Off being the first song Emarosa ever released with him, but other than that, I don't believe I ever returned to that song. His lyrics are absolutely abysmal on that track, and its one of two I always skip on that album.

8. SpyKi

It's amazing. The lyrics are pretty shit for every Jonny song ever, musically though that song is fab. I skip pretty much everything after that song, ha.

9. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

That's exactly where I stop listening to Relativity, too, haha.

SpyKi likes this.
  10. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Whaaaaat you guys dont like Sailing in the Dark or Pretend. Release. Whatever.? Those jam but the last two are where it loses steam for me

11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I Still Feel Her on that album is good imo. I also like Sailing and The Past as my favorites. Least favorites are Batteries, Set It Off, and the instrumental.

12. MrDaveH

Regular

To be fair to Jonny, ER White wrote most of the lyrics for both Jonny albums according to the band.

I haven't heard the demo to Set it Off so I'm not sure which are Jonny's and which are White's, but I do remember there being a thing where Jonny lifted the "Let's make this now or never" part from another band whose name escapes me. I'd found it on youtube before and it's exactly the same, melody and lyrics.

It kinda takes the shine off that song a bit knowing that.

13. TellYourFriends

Lexington, KY Prestigious

Eh. I'd say it's an homage, not lifted.

14. SpyKi

I hate the last two songs on Relativity so much, haha. So boring.

15. SpyKi

Sailing's good but I don't love it, Pretend is a bit boring.

16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The super soulful ending though! So classic. Those last two at probably their least memorable songs , tied with Just Another Marionette.

17. SpyKi

I love Marionette. Honestly the only songs that I liked when I first heard it were Past, Set it Off and Heads or Tails.

18. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Played that album recently, forgot the whole vibe they were at back then. Still love Pretend Release the Close.

19. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Emarosa's Snapchat is weird as hell. Hahaha I love it.

TellYourFriends likes this.
  20. Kristen

Regular

Never really listened to much Emarosa before but 131 is so fucking good

beachdude42 and Benjamin Lee like this.
  21. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Finally got around to listening to this, and i'm a little disappointed. Feels like a Bradley show, and I also feel his lyrical content felt much more shallow and cookie cutter this time around. Some real jams like Hurt, Sure, Cloud 9, and Re were returned to after my first listen.

22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This album still rules for me... Bradley is deservedly imo the star of the show here.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

In the podcast Casey said he specifically made Bradley the focus on this record. I think that is definitely a good thing, especially after hearing some of the acapella vocal stems with harmonies and everything in the podcast. An insane amount of detail on the vocals, takes a lot of talent to make it all work so well on both Casey and Bradley's end.

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, hearing those isolated harmonies really made me appreciate how good they are.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  25. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Hearing the stuff about intentional off key takes kind of blew my mind in the most subtle way too. I never thought of using something off key as a texture. I love hearing Casey's podcast just because of the little production things I learn.

beachdude42 likes this.