Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emarosa Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 5, 2016.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

DBM2 is one of his weaker albums though. Honestly the only things I think he's done that are worth checking out are DBM and Relativity and even those are inconsistent. Both have some fantastic songs though.

2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I very much regret buying Set it Off's albums instead of getting Deathstar and DBM for $5 each at warped tour. haha

3. SpyKi

I really like DBM and Happiness. Never heard Deathstar for some reason. Not a big fan of the Tillian stuff and DBM2 is weak outside of Purple Reign.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Tilian is actually my favorite stuff, it's been hard for me going backwards from him. Jonny is kind a dick and has some really questionable lyrics, and Kurt I don't know. I love A Lot Like Birds, so maybe hearing him in a different context is just weird for me.

I think another factor is Jon Mess's screaming got a million times better between Deathstar and DBMII where he left. Though, DBMII has the worst non-sense lyrics of Mess's career. haha Honestly, I think both Emarosa and DGD are better with Jonny gone. I've only really listened to DMBII once though since I've been pretty excited about this Emarosa stuff though.

5. SpyKi Jul 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 8, 2016)
    SpyKi

I just don't really like Tillians voice or melodies much at all, I'm so glad Saosin never went with him. I think DGD should have stuck with Kurt, going back to Jonny was a bad move. I like Relativity a lot more than Versus and what I've heard of this new Emarosa album but I still think they're better off without him based on how bad the music he makes now is and how shitty a person he is.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  6. MrDaveH

Regular

I liked DBM2 quite a lot, I don't understand the hate that album gets.

Jonny luckily didn't write most of the lyrics while he was in Emarosa so you might be able to stomach him better there.
    Personally, I don't miss him in either band and I think they're both far better off without him sound-wise and overall image-wise.

I will say that Relativity is probably my favorite album he's on but I don't need 3 more albums of that.
    They're much better off going in the direction they are. They'll get a lot farther.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I didn't know that about the lyrics of JC era Emarosa. That's probably why I love the s/t, and am pretty meh on DBM2.

8. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen a band make was kicking Kurt out to get Jonny back. I do really like Tilian though, the Tree City Sessions album this year with him singing songs from every album is my favorite thing the band has done honestly. I wouldn't have liked him in Saosin though, Anthony is my favorite "dude with high vocals" and think he fits perfectly back with the band.

I did listen to some pre-Bradley Emarosa and didn't like it as much though. I like Bradley's lyrics more than whoever wrote them before, and I like that he sings to fit the song more. Jonny seemed to at times be way too showy and do more than the song needed, Bradley seems to have a better sense of what the song needs. I think it really does say something about a guy though when people prefer the music he did with a band, but still think the band is better off without him though.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

DBMII is incredible. People hate on it but they're way off, it's got the best Mess, best Mingus, best Swan, and some real great moments. Some say it's phoned in, but I completely disagree, I think they had the best chemistry on that record. Play it loud in your car on a hot day, windows down, it slaps.

BUT EMAROSA IS SO MUCH BETTER WITHOUT JONNY

Benjamin Lee and MrDaveH like this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I have no problem with the majority of DBM2. I just feel JC drags down the flow. For someone with such a great voice he has terrible melodies at times.

11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The melodies on Swan Soup, Blue Dream, and Privilously Poncheezied are some of the best DGD/Jonny ever had tho

12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I feel like a jerk talking about DGD here.

Back on topic, it seems like working with Aaron Marsh really rubbed off on them on a few songs, and it's magical.

beachdude42 likes this.
  13. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Eh, the bands are connected through Jonny so I think it's fine. Didn't take up all that much in the thread.

I think the band is definitely benefiting from working with two fantastic producers in a row (Aaron Marsh, Casey Bates). 131 is a top 5 album of the year for me I'm pretty sure.

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, both of them are way better than McTernan for sure.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  15. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Where did you grab these/did they have vinyl? My date is coming up this weekend.

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

tried listening to a song because people were saying this was so good
    yeah, definitely not my thing anymore, lol

17. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Emarosa's merch tent had 131 vinyl. Rise Record's tent had a ton of releases from the label for $5 each. Set it Off had a tent, but I got their albums from the Equal Vision tent.

redwing91007 likes this.
  18. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I didn't really see many tents with vinyl though. Emarosa was the only one with it (that I saw) now that I think about it.

19. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I usually pick up one or two albums on vinyl at warped but I have no idea what it would be this year. I already have 131 on it's way from the pre-order.

20. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I listened to this album for hours last night. It's so good.

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I've been having to force myself to listen to other music lately because all I want to play is 131, but I don't want to wear it out on me in a week. Haha

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I hope Emarosa is an opener on the DGD tour just announced.

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I kinda doubt it. Both bands are about the same size as far as popularity, and I think Bradley mentioned a headlining tour for 131 on his Twitter semi-recently. But I guess it would be cool to be proven wrong.

beachdude42 and Daniel182 like this.
  24. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I'm spending a week with my friend who listens exclusively to rap, so I haven't been giving this album the attention it deserves. At least I finally get Acid Rap now...

collin512, beachdude42 and JRGComedy like this.
  25. SpyKi

Finally got around to this and I think it's ok but it's probably my least favourite album of theirs. I feel like the band is pretty boring now musically, just kind of backing music for Bradley. Which I guess is fine if you really like him and his song writing but I'm not that into it.