Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emarosa Band • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 5, 2016.

1. currytheword

Trusted

Do you prefer 131 over all their albums?

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

currytheword, anonimito and beachdude like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I will debate you for how low the self-titled is haha... that album is still solid imo despite Jonny’s repetitive vocal performance.

currytheword and mattylikesfilms like this.
  4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

131 > Versus >>> Relativity > Emarosa >>>>> TIYWO

anonimito and beachdude like this.
  5. Jonny's inability to come up with a memorable melody kills Relativity for me. The opener is the perfect example of my biggest gripe about this.

6. beachdude

For me, his vocal style can be cool in SMALL doses... the opener imo is still a great song... but when you listen to a whole album of the same Jonny melodies over and over I agree that it gets old fast. The self-titled at least diversified the isntrumetnstion a bit more for me even though it suffers from that same issue, but on Relativity I literally would have trouble naming some of those songs if you played them for me out of sequence... and I ADORE this band.

7. beachdude

If Jonny had written consistently better vocal parts (BIG if) I feel like the self-titled album would be amazing. I do think it’s a bigger progression than it often gets credit for, and showed the band realizing that less is often more compositionally, and not going 100% all the time. To me it made for a lot more interesting song structures, and showed a glimpse of where they would later go on Versus. I still put it over Relativity, which does ONE mode really well, but gets way too repetitive.

8. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I like them all about equally except 131 is clearly the best

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. currytheword

Trusted

Whaaaat Jonny's work on Relativity for being an amateur at that time was remarkable. Same with DBM. I find that his lyrics became downright unbearable on the self-titled, despite enjoying a lot of the instrumental work on that album.

Contender and mattylikesfilms like this.
  10. beachdude

I think he's a really talented singer, but in terms of his vocal melodies and songwriting he's a one-trick pony. And the same few vocal melodies get really old across an entire album imo, despite how great his voice itself is.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. beachdude

Seeing these guys tonight! So stoked.

12. currytheword

Trusted

I could pick 4 or 5 different songs from those years that showcase some range he had. Regardless, he sucks now in every way so the point is moot.

beachdude and mattylikesfilms like this.
  13. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

If Jonny wasn’t such a scumbag- he could have had such a great career.

I’m not a fan of his music style but even I can see that.

currytheword and beachdude like this.
  14. beachdude

Oh yeah definitely. I think that would also mean putting more work into developing his style though, instead of coasting on a great voice... which is clearly what he’s been doing for years.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  15. beachdude

The show last night was awesome, all the bands were on point. Emarosa announced that they'll be back in LA in February for an album release show, so I'll most likely be there!

16. currytheword

Trusted

He destroyed those opportunities to work with people who could further his talent. Auditioned for the Voice as well, they denied him because of his record. Nobody wants to work with the dude except the few guys he gets to play in his awful new band.

17. currytheword Dec 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 10, 2018)
    currytheword

Trusted

I saw Emarosa once, in the same year as the S/T release. Was happy to say I got to see that line-up. Will likely be making an effort this year to see this new version, just hopeful they play Versus tracks which don't seem to be popular for them now.

Edit: After I posted the above comment, I went on setlist.fm and took a look at their more recent shows. This was in October:

1. Miracle
    2. People Like Me, We Just Don't Play
    3. Blue
    4. One Car Garage
    5. Helpless
    6. Gold Dust
    7. Say Hello To The Bad Guy
    8. Young Lonely
    9. A Hundred Crowns
    10. Decode
      (Paramore cover)
    11. Sure
    12. Hurt
    13. The Game Played Right
    14. Cloud 9

This would be awesome to catch live. My favorite picks off of 131, a lot of great Versus, and a Paramore cover I had no idea they've done.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

TIYWO
    Relativity
    Versus
    Emarosa

My obviously very different ranking to everyone else's, lol.

disambigujason likes this.
  19. currytheword

Trusted

What were your dislikes on 131? Not my favorite either just curious as to how it got to the bottom of your list.

20. SpyKi

Honestly I didn't really enjoy it at all. Easily my least favourite of theirs. I only really listened to it 2/3 times when it came out so I can hardly even remember it.

currytheword likes this.
  21. currytheword

Trusted

My initial reaction was the same. It grew on me a bit, and now I can say I definitely like Hurt, Sure, Cloud 9, and there's another I think is pretty good that the name of which is slipping me.

22. SpyKi

If I like the new album enough I'll probably revisit it. I dug the new single more than I remember liking anything on 131.

currytheword likes this.
  23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

My ranking:

Relativity
    Emarosa
    Versus
    TIYWO

This current Emarosa era has carved out a nice unique and distinctive sound but I find almost every song very hit or miss; it just comes down to which album has more hits. Relativity can drag on a bit sometimes but that album is just so clearly above all the others in every sonic way to me. newer stuff’s good but downright boring in comparison.

Also shoutout to I Am Waves and Casablanca for still being top 5-10 Emarosa songs

And points for having some of the scenes best artworks

currytheword likes this.
  24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Bradley? Really?

25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Gonna need a source on that