Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emarosa Band • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 5, 2016.

1. currytheword

Trusted

There was a guy named Chris Roberts that did vocals for Emarosa, and they had adopted the name then but they never recorded with him. Chris Roetter came shortly after, then Jonny -> Bradley.

I know of ER and Jonas recording for the band, but Madison Stolzer from Rosaline def played for them for a little while as well way back when. Then there is the new guy I’m not familiar with.

anonimito likes this.
  2. TellYourFriends

Lexington, KY Prestigious

Replacing Roberts is what caused them to change their name. They actually recorded with both of them...together, but once they moved forward with only Roetter changed the name.

Madison did one summer tour and maybe part of another. Was never an official member - never on a record.

anonimito and beachdude like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

From the band's Facebook:

"No band wants to write the same album over and over again. And for Emarosa, that means turning the page and and introducing the world to the band’s newest chapter—the one that best represents where they’ve grown and where they’re going. “We’re at that point where we’ve realized that there’s no consequences for making whatever record we want to make,” frontman Bradley Walden explains. “We started writing, and it felt like the book was being thrown out the window. There are no rules.”

Out February 8 on Hopeless Records, Peach Club makes the most of Emarosa’s eclectic influences, marking their sixth studio effort as their most pop-laden and personal album to date. The 11-track record throws it back to the massive pop hits of the ‘80s and the powerhouse artists that ruled ‘90s R&B, which also happens to be where Walden looked to as he penned the album. “I think a lot of it was based on what we were raised listening to,” Walden says. “My mother raised me on female pop and R&B. It was Paula Abdul. It was Michael Jackson. It was Janet. It was even some Shania Twain.” These influences ring true with the opening track and first single, “Givin’ Up,” The 1975-vibing song which revels in glitter-soaked guitar and bursts with orchestral elements that introduces—and cements—the band’s standing in the alt-pop world.

The affecting and undeniably arresting “Don’t Cry” was the first song Emarosa wrote with producer Courtney Ballard (5 Seconds of Summer, Jessie J). Ballard, whose background is rooted in pop, helped guide the band as they united their alt-rock past with their pop-leaning present. “I knew after writing the first song that he’s the one that I wanted to do the record,” Walden says. “He understood where we wanted to go and and where we were ready to depart from.” His pop touch, combined with Walden’s powerhouse vocals and potent songwriting, result in anthem-ready hits that are expertly weaved throughout the record. “So Bad” bursts with boppy bass lines and dance-ready beats, and “Cautious” combines the band’s hooky take on rock and Fickle Friends’ exuberant synth pop.

Even more than the bold sonic shift, though, is the new lyrical perspective Emarosa embraces on Peach Club. While there’s no denying that tracks like “Comfortable” still have shades of heartbreak guised under beautiful melodies, Walden wanted to give this record a change in tone. “I was tired of writing sad records. That’s what I used as my way of dealing with things,” Walden says. “While this record is a lot of realizations and accepting faults, it’s also not all sad. You don’t have to be miserable.” The record’s light-hearted notes shine through with tracks like the stripped-down “xo,” the love song that taps into Walden’s stunning vocals, along with the record’s hidden gem “IW2DWY,” which takes a dreamy, lullaby-esque approach to experimental electro-pop.

As a body of work, Peach Club takes full advantage of Emarosa’s biggest strengths. The band’s familiar and fervent alt-rock energy flows through tracks like the riffy “Help You Out” and explosive “Hell Of It.” And the soul-bearing “Get Back Up” might just be one of the band’s most powerful tracks to date. “That’s my favorite song on the record,” Walden says. “I wrote that song for my mom. There was always something that took us down a peg. But if she hadn’t gotten back up every single time we got knocked down, I wouldn’t be where I am. And I wouldn’t be the person I am.” The track combats the sadness with a sonic message that lifts listeners up, invoking hope rather than sadness.

And that’s the beauty of Peach Club. At its core, the record represents more than just a sonic shift and sincere step forward. It represents the fact that Emarosa is exactly where they want to be, and it embodies the band’s growing family listeners. It’s a brave record that sees Emarosa showing their fans where they’re going and inviting them to join them on the journey."

4. All these influences were hinted at on the last two albums, maybe more vocally than instrumentally, so I'm glad they had the confidence to take a huge leap this time. I'm so excited to hear the record.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

When I first heard "Hopeless" back in 2016, an absolute jam and a half, I was immediately thinking that this was where Bradley wanted to go. It just makes sense given his style and talent.

6. currytheword

Trusted

If you listened to Squid The Whale at all, it's not the most insane departure for Bradley. It is for Emarosa/ER though.

7. I remember hearing these for the first time and thinking "yup they have the skills to become a great pop band"

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Squid the Whale was pretty good

9. They had an EP that premiered on ap.net, part of their exclusive features. I miss that sometimes, it was cool checking a band's profile, and having one or many songs ready to be heard, like it's myspace or purevolume.

anonimito, beachdude and JRGComedy like this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I was a huge Squid The Whale fan for a long time before I even liked Emarosa. I was so conflicted on Bradley leaving to do Emarosa but it was definitely the right move in the end.

11. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Is that really what happened? I feel like Squid dissolved way before he announced he was in Emarosa

12. beachdude

The way I heard it was... Bradley was a big Emarosa fan and actually was auditioned soon after Jonny left. They offered him the spot, but he initially said no because he decided he didn’t want to leave Squid the Whale. About a year or so later, STW broke up, and Emarosa were still looking for a singer... so they got back in touch and it all fell into place.

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Gotcha

beachdude likes this.
  14. beachdude

Versus is SUPER underrated in general. That album still means a lot to me.

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'll Just Wait got me into the band!

16. beachdude

That song was totally different than anything I ever expected they’d write, but it ruled. That’s when I think I first realized they were gonna be more than a post-hardcore band with Bradley.

17. currytheword Dec 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 5, 2018)
    currytheword

Trusted

I still feel Versus is the band's best album.

beachdude and Daniel182 like this.
  18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

What I remember hearing in a interview way back was that Bradley wanted to stay with Squid so that’s why he said no the first time. Then once he was approached again- there were issues within Squid and he didn’t see it lasting much longer so he bounced. I believe this was on Lead Singer Syndrome but I could be wrong.

beachdude likes this.
  19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That is a hot take my friend and while I don’t agree- “But You Won’t Love a Ghost” and “1996 on Beavers” are two of my favorite Emarosa tracks ever.

currytheword, anonimito and beachdude like this.
  20. beachdude

Their best album is definitely either Versus or 131 imo haha... hard for me to pick I love both so much.

currytheword and mattylikesfilms like this.
  21. beachdude

Fuck it

131 > Versus > S/T > Relativity > This Is Your Way Out (not a bad release but I don't listen to a ton of that type of metalcore/post-hardcore anymore)

Literally reverse chronological for me. The sign of a great band.

mattylikesfilms and anonimito like this.
  22. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I gotta put Versus above 131, but those are their two best for sure.

currytheword and beachdude like this.
  23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Daaaaaamn I forgot how dope "Cliff Notes" is. I put the song on repeat for 5 listens in a row just now lol

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I don't even count Relativity or S/T at this point. I like a few songs off both records but it's just not the same band at all to me.

25. currytheword

Trusted

Versus
    Relativity
    Emarosa
    TIYWO

NON DEBATABLE GUYS