Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emarosa – 131 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 3, 2016.

1. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I was the same way, but once you hear it flow with all the tracks they grow on you a lot.

2. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, the Inside the Music (Haulix) podcast with Bradley talks all about the number 131.

3. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's great, I actually don't know Dr. Manhattan at all so it was the only episode I skipped - I guess I might want to go back and check it all out (especially now I've read that their album was co-produced by Chris Conley?!). I absolutely love this podcast, fun and very informative.

I don't want to praise Emarosa too much, as for me it surely isn't close to AOTY contender, but it's still good and those clips in the podcast, are surely meant to be heard in context, it's fitting right there with all the music, and I enjoy the R&B influence, it's not too much.

I haven't listened to The Cab in years, I remember I liked some songs in high school, and then started not feeling it totally. Do you have any examples of R&B vocals executed well (for your taste) on albums like for example 131? ;)

Well, I still love it as well ;D nothing wrong with that ;D loved it from the first time I did try it out, but I've never glorified it as much.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Great review man! Very much my thoughts as well.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. Bartek! Sorry for neglecting this post for so long. It's funny, I thought about this question for a while and genuinely could not think of any rock bands that do a good job utilizing R&B-styled vocals/melodies. Newer Fall Out Boy comes kinda close. Kinda. But the melodic game of rock bands these days really comes nowhere close to acts like Jazmine Sullivan, Quadron, Usher. I'd rather see a band stick to straight rock melodies and big harmonies if they can't pull off the nuances of R&B well. Doing it poorly cheapens the music overall, in my opinion at least.

And hey, I know you've got a lot to listen to, from Halfnoise to TDH, but please don't miss out on Dr. Manhattan. Go download both of their LPs for free from Bandcamp and just throw them on every now and then until they click. It's 100% worth it, and I've yet to find a new, 2016 release that I loved as much as those two DRMAN records.

6. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Sure, hit me up anytime you could think of some examples. I'd agree on Fall Out Boy actually, they have some amazing vocal performances (btw. Bradely mentioned he had some Patrick Stump influences on this new record hehh, which could be obvious for him, if it only wasn't a band like Emarosa, but it sits well I guess).

Yeah I've already got through the new TDH and liked it a lot, there's still lots to catch up, and today we had a few new albums released hehh, but sure - I'll check this band out soon! :) I gave myself some preview now and it sounds interesting!

Chase Tremaine likes this.