Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Elton John Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cshadows2887 Mar 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 24, 2020)
    cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Sir Elton Hercules John, CBE (born Reginald Kenneth Dwight; 25 March 1947) is an English singer, songwriter, and composer. He has worked with lyricist Bernie Taupin as his songwriting partner since 1967; they have collaborated on more than 30 albums to date. In his five-decade career Elton John has sold more than 300million records, making him one of the best-selling music artists in the world. He has more than fifty Top 40 hits, including seven consecutive No. 1 US albums, 58 Billboard Top 40 singles, 27 Top 10, four No. 2 and nine No. 1. For 31 consecutive years (1970–2000) he had at least one song in the Billboard Hot 100. His single "Candle in the Wind 1997" sold over 33million copies worldwide and is the best-selling single in the history of the UK and US singles charts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elton John
    The Rocket Man. Everyone knows he’s a hit factory. Everyone’s heard the soundtracks. Everyone’s seen the outfits. But what not everyone remembers is that from 1970-1975, he churned out nine classic records, a live album, a greatest hits, and a soundtrack. For a half-decade, there was nobody on Elton’s level of consistently excellent music being churned out at dizzying speed. Anything that he worked on with his classic band (Nigel Olsson, Dee Murray, Davey Johnstone) and songwriting partner Bernie Taupin is essential listening.

Recommended Listen:
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Crash Course:
    1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    2. Honky Chateau
    3. Tumbleweed Connection

Compilation Replacement:
    Greatest Hits: 1970-2002

Signature Songs:
    1. “Your Song”
    2. “Tiny Dancer”
    3. “Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going to Be a Long, Long Time)”
    4. “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting”
    5. “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”

Personal Note:
    I would make Honky Chateau the recommended listen based on personal taste, but the double album is definitely considered the consensus for his best. Similarly with the signature songs, I would be much more likely to select album cuts like “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters”, “Indian Sunset”, “Sixty Years On” or “Amy”, but wanted to try and stay objective. Definitely dig beyond the stuff listed here and you won't be disappointed. If you already know his 70s stuff well and you’re curious about his 80s period, Too Low for Zero would be the place to start.

2. cshadows2887

Been listening to my favorite record of his, Honky Chateau during my free periods. God, was his band good. To be able to hit a funk groove like "Amy", a ballad like "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" and a cabaret swagger like "Honky Cat" in stride is no small feat.

3. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Yes yes yes yes

My dad is a huge Elton fan and it definitely rubbed off on me. "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" is probably my favorite, but that whole Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album is fantastic. I mean, who the hell opens up their album with a 10 minute plus epic like that?

4. cshadows2887

Trippy thing is there's pretty much nothing else like that in his whole catalog. Like he just said "Nailed it!" and never felt like he had to do it again.

Craig Manning and stnewton like this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Saw Elton last year at Staples and he blew me away, age be damned the dude puts on an excellent show

6. cshadows2887

Yeah he's one of those guys that compensates for losing his fastball by learning how to fake it with breaking balls on the corners and deception. Total veteran

ChaseTx likes this.
  7. cshadows2887

Hoping to explore more of his 80s records this week. Major missed area for me

8. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Chris is going to kill me for making this my first post here: but damn his contributions to The Lion King are stellar

9. cshadows2887

Knowing I was picking him, I revisited Honky Chateau today. His band on that record is as good as anyone's ever was, even more impressive because it was their first fully assembled together. The variety of styles they cover is dizzying and their harmonies as a group are really what take Elton's peak era to a new level.

10. George

Trusted Prestigious

I've only heard the first two albums in the Crash Course, which are great, but haven't digged any further. Elton's a bit of a blindspot for me, so I look forward to hearing more this week!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

HOLD ME CLOSER TONY DANZA

cshadows2887, ChaseTx and Garrett L. like this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Very excited for this one. He was an artist I started getting into around the same time I was first deep diving the Springsteen and Billy Joel discographies, but I never got as far as I wanted. I will try to rectify that this week, and be better about posting in here than I was in the Stevie thread.

Also, still probably going to go back to the Stevie thread, because I've been listening to him more this weekend.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

Elton has such a huge catalog that really everybody still has room to explore, myself included. I've heard like 17 records, and still am excited to explore

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

I would be remiss not to mention how much I love it when Cameron Crowe throws Elton songs in his soundtracks. Obviously, the "Tiny Dancer" scene in Almost Famous is iconic, but the scene with "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" from the same movie is almost as great, and "My Father's Gun" is the cornerstone to what might be my favorite film soundtrack ever in Elizabethtown.

Meerkat and cshadows2887 like this.
  15. Craig Manning

Have you listened to his new one? I wasn't such a fan of that, but I remember liking The Diving Board a fair amount whenever that came out.

16. cshadows2887

The new one was fun, but just a total catalog listen, while The Diving Board was really trying for something

17. ramomcferno Mar 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2016)
    ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

He was one of the artists I listened to a lot when I started listening to music based off of my mom's music tastes.

I still go back to his catalog all of the time. I enjoyed the Diving Board more than the the latest one but there are good songs on all of his records.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

Even if you feel like you know enough albums from him, and don't think you need or want to do too much exploring this week, by all means post your thoughts on the records you do know, talk about your experiences with his music, give people some guidance on what you like and what you think they should listen to, etc. That's going to be the awesome part about having people with varying levels of experience in these artists we pick every week

19. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

Sounds neat. My favorite song is Daniel.

Funny story: Yesterday, I came back from the gym, and my mom was playing Elton's greatest hits CD and Daniel was on. I burst into her room and we had an impromptu sing-a-long it was awesome!

I have seen him live twice and hopefully I can see him again soon. Such an amazing performer.

20. George

Trusted Prestigious

Tumbleweed Connection is pretty damn cool. It's got this strong country / blues vibe running through it, but sometimes Elton just gets pure funky with it, like on Son of your Father, with some real groovy basslines. It's a very cinematic, dramatic album, Elton's never been afraid to ham it up, but he gets it just right on this one, creates a mood and an atmosphere, without going overboard. Some mildly experimental and non-conventional song structures here, which keep things interesting. My favourite are probably the more soulful, gospel tracks, rather than the bluesy ones, but it was a great listen.

ChaseTx and cshadows2887 like this.
  21. cshadows2887

Really glad you liked it. I feel like a lot of people never get to it because it doesn't have any of his hits, really, but it's such an ambitious and complete album. Later when he'd cover a lot of stylistic ground, it would never feel this cohesive, but it all hangs together on this one. There are just so many good songs, too. "Amoreena", "Country Comfort", "Come Down in Time", and "Burn Down the Mission", among others, have emerged as career favorites for me.

ChaseTx likes this.
  22. cshadows2887

One of the biggest keys to how awesome his peak was: Paul Buckmaster. His string arrangements are never low-key. But they're also never cheesy. They always add this epic sweep that brings his best music to another level. They turn Tumbleweed Connection from just a western-themed album into a cinematic-feeling Western. And they make Madman Across the Water impossibly epic.

23. Meerkat

Whenever I try and listen to Madman Across The Water I end up just repeating "Tiny Dancer" for an hour. I really love the album, but I get so wrapped up in "Tiny Dancer" a lot of the time

24. cshadows2887

But the song after it is freakin' "Levon"!

Meerkat likes this.
  25. Meerkat

But the song before it is "Tiny Dancer"!