Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Elliotte Friedman on the Viral Michael Phelps Race Call

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

By now you’ve probably seen the viral video of a Canadian announcer messing up the call while Michael Phelps wins yet another gold medal. Michael Rosenberg spoke with the announcer for Sports Illustrated and it’s a master class in taking responsibility and dedication to your profession:

He only has two requests. One is that I write that if an athlete messed up like that, we would want the athlete to talk, and that’s why he is doing this. He is no hypocrite. The second request is that I put the mistake entirely on him. When I ask if a producer or production assistant was in his earpiece during the race, he bristles. It’s his fault, he says. Entirely his. Write it that way.

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This is how everyone should approach their life's work and passions. The world would be a much better place if this level of care was given to all that we did. Good on this guy.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  3. ReiAndCoke

Elliotte is an absolute masterclass of a reporter, writer and broadcaster. He's also phenomenal when he does radio bits too. Been the toast of hockey night in Canada for a while too now. No surprise he handled this as well as he does everything else.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love his work in hockey and I'm sure he will bounce back from this

5. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Not his fault, I put the blame primarily on the Producers 80/20...he has people in his ear that should have instantly recognized the mistake and could have had it corrected on-air. Good of him not to throw them under the bus though, as most in his situation probably would. His reputation shouldn't take a hit and his body of work speaks for itself...poor guy though.