Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Elliott Smith Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Super interested to hear how the remaster sounds. I kind of doubt that it will be all that different but Either/Or is definitely an album where I'd be interested in hearing a more hifi version, I don't think its relatively subdued sound quality is as essential to its greatness the way that the first couple records are.

2. Collins

Trusted

airik625 likes this.
  3. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Going back and listening through his discography. jesus, I can barely keep my composure through a bunch of these tracks. Brings back too many memories of when he passed.

EmmanuelSCastle and Kennedy like this.
  4. cshadows2887 Mar 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2018)
    cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I tend to forget just how amazing he is until something pops up on shuffle, but "L.A." came up and yeah Figure 8 is a goddamn masterpiece.

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I still haven't gotten to that one, for whatever reason I stopped at XO which is weird bc he doesn't have a bad song so idk what I'm doing

airik625 and bradsonemanband like this.
  6. I listened to my Either/Or vinyl yesterday for only the second or third time since I got it. He isn’t one of those artists that I generally decide to put on when I feel like listening to music, but those rare times when I do, I’m always glad I did.

I keep meaning to rewatch that documentary that came out recently ish. That thing is a great watch.

7. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Angeles is one of my all time favorite songs

Surfwax likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Man, that and the posthumous stuff is wonderful.

Larry David and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

only heard King's Crossing of the posthumous stuff, but I have all of new moon and one other one on my hard drive. I usually take a pass on posthumous stuff for various terrible reasons but I'll consume anything Elliott related

10. cshadows2887

The truly great songwriters usually at least have a surface skim of greatness in the vault, whether they release it themselves (Springsteen, Dylan) or it comes out after they die too young (prince, Smith)

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  11. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I listened to XO for the first time after that Pitchfork 98 list, and I was low-key obsessed with it for about a month. I need to listen to Figure 8 still (and New Moon and the debut), but I kinda like knowing I’ve got so much amazing music ahead of me.

airik625 likes this.
  12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't disagree but it always feels weird to me listening to unreleased stuff that they didn't intend to release. and that totally doesn't matter at all but I think about it plenty.

the stylistic leap on XO compared to what came before always floors me and I am curious to see how he further expands upon that

13. cshadows2887

At least with From a Basement on a Hill he was (as far as I remember) prepping it for actual release and just died before it was finished. If that assuages your guilt at all.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it does actually haha. I'll dive into it this week since I'm thinking about it now

15. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Froma Basement On a Hill has some of my favorite songs by him, honestly.

16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

god I love Elliott Smith. It’s just so fucking hard to listen to his music without getting super emotional.

bradsonemanband and beachdude like this.
  17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

heard “Angeles” on Normal People and it brought me to tears. nice.

airik625 likes this.
  18. phaynes12

GOAT elliott song or GOAT music song?

19. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

20. phaynes12

final four:
    the biggest lie vs. son of sam
    miss misery vs. say yes

the biggest lie vs. say yes the biggest lie takes it

21. Dog Fish

Mutt

Doing my annual discog deep dive. See you on the other side.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

bradsonemanband likes this.