Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (July 17, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 9, 2020.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I gotta admit, this album grew on me a bit on second listen. Still wish it had some bops, but it's pretty cool

Garrett likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I just finished writing my review first draft. I like it more with each listen, but it's not what I was expecting, either.

irthesteve likes this.
  3. Garrett

4. Garrett

irthesteve likes this.
  5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Just read through it. Nice review, I pretty much agree on all fronts, except that Tides is the weakest track lol

I think this is a really nice kind of reboot for her and that she'll go into the next one even more inspired. I've definitely found myself reaching for it a lot the last week, and I'm sure it will continue to grow on me.

Garrett likes this.
  6. Garrett

I woke up, knowing new Taylor was out, and still had to listen to Start and How Deep Is Too Deep first. This album is absolutely a grower.

irthesteve and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  7. Garrett

One of the great things about @Jason Tate is he let me ramble for this album through two reviews without blinking an eye.

8. Garrett

In a shocking twist, I think I listened to this more than folklore this weekend. Definitely a sit and grow with album.

9. Spenny

Regular

Honestly the album is definitely a grower. First listen I thought it was good, but the more I listen to it the more I love it quite a bit. The tracks I keep going back to are Power, How Deep is Too Deep, Love I'm Given, Woman, Bleach and Brightest Blue, though I need to give the full album more spins since I placed my initial faves on one of my playlists and have mostly been listening to them there.

Also for people who are decrying the lack of bops, curious to hear more about that. Power and Love I'm Given fill that role really well IMO, though I will admit it isn't quite as boppy as some of Ellie's past highs.

Garrett likes this.
  10. Garrett

This album keeps getting better and better.

Brent and Spenny like this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Garrett likes this.
  12. irthesteve

I know this is going to cause a stir, I know know know that no one agrees.... but I strongly feel

Delirium > Brightest Blue > Halcyon > Lights

I know it seems crazy, but you also have to realize that I don't think any of her albums are great in full. I strongly believe that Delirium contains most of her BEST songs mixed in with some of her worst, but overall the highs raise the bar higher than any other highs on other albums do.

Also, and this will be fought, I really don't think she learned how to use her unique voice until Delirium. I find her voice VERY grating many times during Halcyon, she sounds "different" and "unique," but I don't think she really harnessed how to take that and use it in a pleasing way. Lights is obnoxious throughout, not just vocally, but the music sounds like Myspace music pages, just very amateur.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, bye!

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I dont really like anything on Delirium that much. If I made a top 20 it would all be from Lights and Halcyon.

This new album just mostly feels kinda bland to me, sad how much shes fallen off for me.

14. irthesteve

Nothing beats Something In the Way You Move and Lost and Found

RedDotRecording likes this.
  15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I grabbed at ticket the the livestream tomorrow so I listened through again today and I do enjoy it, I really think it gets better each time I hear it, but at the same time I also get why people think it's bland and I kind of do too.

That being said:

Halcyon>Brightest Blue>Delirium>Lights.

I feel like I never really spent that much time with Delirium or Lights outside of a few songs on each. I do kind of want to go back and revisit Delirium without the expectations I had coming in from Halcyon. I'm not sure if I've really listened to it at all since it came out, I feel like I'd probably have a different opinion now. I did really really love Keep On Dancin' though. I'm not that interested in going back to Lights though.

Halcyon for me was just huge too because it was one of the first big albums for me that helped pull me back out of the warped tour/pop punk/whatever you want to call it scene. It was the first pop concert I went to (other than as a child) and was pretty pivotal for me. I can't believe I haven't seen her since then (2013).

16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

those are definitely the two best on that album.

17. Garrett

Halcyon and Delirium mark very different moments in my life. I think her best songs can be found on those two albums. The more distance I get from (Bright) Lights, the more thin it does sound at times. I’ll always love “The Writer” though.

But I think Brightest Blue is the most confident she’s been in her voice and I am loving it more with every listen.

After writing my two reviews and exploring how crazy her releases have been managed, I really am curious about how you could “re-do” it so that it’s not laden with re-releases and Side B’s and bonus tracks.

mattfreaksmeout and irthesteve like this.
  18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Enjoying this performance so far. Nothing really crazy production wise or anything but it’s the museum is a cool setting and she sounds fantastic.

19. irthesteve

link?

20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

21. irthesteve

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout Aug 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2020)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Damn this is actually pretty cool she’s singing in a pond kind of thing now (spoiler just in case anyone is watching a later stream).

I'm really happy I tuned in. Love I'm Given was the clear highlight, and she made really really cool use of the setting, especially for the last "act" I'll call it. That was by far the best livestream type thing I've seen so far.

23. irthesteve

Screenshot_20200918-163503.png

Garrett likes this.
  24. Garrett

Love I’m Given continues to be a slept on song this year. In my top 5 songs of the year

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It really is amazing. Seeing her sing it live pushed up a level for me. The song sounds huge. Easily one of her best

Garrett likes this.