Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Vince Gilligan, October 11, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Aug 26, 2019.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Just finished. Not gonna lie, I felt really bored for about half of that.

Brent likes this.
  2. Night Channels

Trusted

That really sucks for you...

I thought it was fantastic.

laraheart likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Brent likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That headline is kinda harsh thus will not read

I Am Mick and Night Channels like this.
  5. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Not missing anything, I would rather spend another 2 hrs watching the movie than another 2 minutes reading that

laraheart and Cameron like this.
  6. chris

Trusted Supporter

Yup. Just got to Four Days Out in my rewatch, they’re talking about treating themselves to a night in a hotel right before they realize the battery is fucked. Really liked how that flashback was used

dylan and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Just got home from a screening in Portland. It was such a treat getting to see this film on the big screen with a bunch of Breaking Bad fans and expressing emotions together as the film unfolded. It was like a watching an episode of tv in a room with other people, and everyone laughs at the same moments. 10/10 would watch something like this movie or a tv finale in a theater with other people again. Movie was great.

8. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Mixed on this. Well shot and performed, but most of it felt unnecessary, especially a bunch of the flashback stuff. The old west draw was dumb. Idunno, I wanted something meatier in terms of plot for Jesse. It was more like an extended post credits scene.

RyanPm40, OotyPa and Orla like this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

no fucking way

RIP he was perfect in this

10. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Night Channels likes this.
  11. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I really enjoyed it. But I guess I can see some people’s complaints. It really did just feel like a longer episode, which is fine in my opinion. And yeah it was pretty straightforward and not a ton of extra things happening, but again I thought that worked out well in this case.

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I mean, I wanted to like the movie. I loved BB. I like Better Call Saul (though I need to return to it) and find it to be a better follow-up because it adds depth. This felt kinda hollow, empty. The flashbacks dont serve much other than to articulate how bad Jesse’s PTSD is, and to showcase this weird story about a murdered cleaning woman (which is never resolved thematically or narratively). We get some appearances by secondary characters, a few angry glares from Aaron Paul, but little that indicates this is a character study- which it should have been. It just feels tacked on. The film as a whole doesnt really work standalone either, so it didn’t accomplish much for me besides giving me the opportunity to reacquaint with old characters. Nice, but unnecessary- and if im being honest, disappointing.

13. SteveLikesMusic

I thought the whole cleaning lady thing gave Jesse slightly more reason to strangle Todd later on.

figureitout and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That’s a cop-out, I feel. He was imprisoned and slaved. He would have strangled Todd to save himself anyway.

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  15. Greg

I mean, that whole plot was to show how obedient/broken Jesse had become during his captivity. Leading up to the moment he grabs the gun and then gives it back. That was insane. He could have been free then. But he was so in that enslaved mindset, mere pizza got him to go along with Todd. Like, damn!

now a fair complaint to me about the cleaning lady is that she is one of the very few female characters here and she was killed for no reason by a sociopath. Once again, female representation isn’t exactly done in a positive light. It for better or worse, fits what we have seen from the show.

aoftbsten likes this.
  16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The duel was a total nod to how “western” BB felt at times. Gilligan always said he envisioned it as a modern western at times. Esp considering he cast someone from Deadwood to play an arms dealer. Also the cleaning lady scene was necessary to show who’s car that was. I had no idea. Also since he had the keys to the car then he had keys to the apartment which he needed to break into. The flashback showed that Jesse knew this apartment well enough to search it.

SteveLikesMusic and Orla like this.
  17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

This would 100% work as a standalone movie if you removed the Walt/Mike cameos and explain what Robert Forster actually does (and take out the previous attempt at picking up jesse. Just have him be short off the bat.)

It's a movie about a man who was imprisoned and is now seeking freedom. He so easily could tweaked it a bit and it wouldn't be a breaking bad movie. I am happy he didn't though, because it works in the BB universe.

The cleaning lady was to further demonstrate how Todd is a pyscopath, his nonchalant attitude to killing and disposing a body was fucked. It also is the entire reason for getting Jesse out of the cage with Todd. I don't think the movie works as well without them.

Is that part unnecessary? I don't know. Things are supposed to happen in movies. I guess Thanos isn't necessary Infinity War and the Avengers could just hang out with eachother for 2 hours. I guess in Shrek it was unnecessary for them to try and take his swamp or whatever and it could've just been Shrek eating bugs the whole movie.

18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Bill and Ted should have just been them goofing off in high school but that fuckin' unnecessary time traveling phone booth and Rufus show up and now I have to deal with that? ugh.

Cameron likes this.
  19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but it’s sterile, and I like the taste.

Sorry

20. JM95

Trusted

What a terrible way to view things. It's a male-centric story because that's the nature of that world. And the empathy is for the cleaner rather than the psycho there. No reason to introduce and build the cleaner's character for anything other than to meet some simplistic idea of 'representation'.

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I disagree with the above. I’m also not saying there shouldn’t be conflict in a story- that’d be ridiculous. I have issues with how extraneous the victim’s murder and humanity are treated alongside lesser plot details like “thats how he remembers the layout of todd’s apartment.” I also get how the murder, his nonchalance, is supposed to thicken audience hatred of Todd. But we don’t get redemption in this film- we get it in the series.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. Greg

What a terrible reply.

I never said they should have done more with the cleaner. I even said, it fits with what the show has done before.

But it’s totally fair to point out women are not viewed very highly in this show, for whatever reason you want to give it. it’s a fair complaint. Is it something that deeply bothers me? No, In this context it makes sense to an extent. But that doesn’t change that women are viewed in a low way here.

the fact that I pointed out a factual aspect of the show and it got you that bothered is pretty disgusting. I don’t know what battle you are fighting here, but it’s a deeply sad one.

OotyPa likes this.
  23. Greg

Did you see my post about the point being about Jesse and how he is dealing with his captivity? To me that’s what mattered most there in that story.

because it’s Gilligan, he of course used that story to ties things together and explain things in the present storyline. But Jesse’s well being, or lack thereof, is what stood out to me.

24. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

This was fucking everything for anyone who loved Breaking Bad and clearly wasn’t made for anyone else. I really enjoyed it. And I think the flashback cameos were all great and not as gratuitous as they easily could’ve been.

The Walt scene in particular I thought was very well done

Greg likes this.
  25. JM95

Trusted

You didn't really point out a factual part of the show. You made a daft, simplistic implied point about representation and now you're already edging towards make it personal (and I'll leave aside the ridiculous overreaction that my reply or the perceived attitude behind it was "disgusting").

I don't think women are depicted poorly on the show. You can argue for or against that, and with some nuance. The main focused characters of the show are male and that's fine, just as it is when it's the other way round. It's just so pointless hinting towards some banal criticism about representation, especially when you sort of say it's fine that there aren't many female characters on the show while also saying that it's a fair complaint.

I'm still laughing at "disgusting". Fucking hell.

yocoxy likes this.