Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham, July 13, 2018) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Up until after I saw this I thought Elsie was a younger sister of Isla Fisher but nope.

2. Lucas27

Trusted

Hailee Steinfeld was sooo good in True Grit. Basically stole the show from Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon, both in top form.

Noah Schnapp’s performance in Stranger Things 2 really blew my mind. Also really loved Millicent Simmons performance in A Quiet Place.

I think Elsie Fisher’s performance is immediately my favorite from someone that age though. Unbelievably good.

3. Night Channels

Trusted

This was so good.

I loved the scene with Gabe. No idea how anyone wouldn’t want it.

4. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

She didn't even get cast in her school play!!

5. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

the middle of this was a horror film

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. This was fantastic. Wasn’t expecting it to be as profoundly sad as it gets but I loved it for that

I think the scene with Gabe at the end played in contrast to the car scene and worked really well to that end, can’t imagine the film without either of those scenes

Felt a lot of Bo’s fingerprints. The musical cues (like the first time you see Aidan) and the abrupt pacing reminded me a lot of how his standup specials operate. So much of the out-of-focus dialogue, like the older boy talking about how the dead kid didn’t deserve his own triathalon when Kayla is walking up to Olivia’s friends at the food court was pure gold.

the Rick and Morty reference at the end had my whole theater howling

7. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Liked it, sad that I didn’t love it, super relatable.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen Aug 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 6, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

This movie is absolutely wonderful

10. midnightxtaylor

Regular

Had a half day at work last Friday, so I took myself to see this. It was great, but holy shit was I feeling exposed like I was watching my life. Everything from being "most quiet" to that tunnel vision feeling when her crush walks in. If I had a cell phone/social media back then, it would have been scary accurate.

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

The one thing that felt out of place was in the beginning the kid caught jerking off under his shirt in class

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Ive been in a class where almost that exact scenario happened so it was very real for me, lmao

zigbigwig likes this.
  13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Insane that that’s happened but then I remember the world is shit

14. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

I was class president of the room that had this so I had to handle that shit at times

Shit is cray

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

As a student you had to handle other students jerking off? The fuck kinda school did you go to

16. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Not a very good one for sure. I have more stories, unfortunately.

17. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Movie was terrific. As an eighth grade teacher, I found it to be pretty representative of that awkward age group, too.

Just wish it had gotten a PG-13 rating - there really wasn't much at all that warranted an R. It'll miss out on a potential audience (teenagers) who really should be able to see it.

ChaseTx and Mrplum5089 like this.
  18. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

This movie is fucking incredible and keeps climbing my favorites of 2018 list. currently tied for the top spot with First Reformed. A24 continues to CRUSH IT.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  19. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

It’s funny you say that, that’s Bo’s favorite movie this year according to his AMA on Reddit haha.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Did not expect Bo to have such a natural cinematic eye holy shit.

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Bo knows cinema.

22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Bo don't know Jack cause Bo can't rap

I guess he technically can rap I just wanted to reference Scenario

24. Lucas27

Trusted

Saw this by myself for the second time yesterday afternoon in an empty theater. Very different experience. The quiet made the awkward moments so much more awkward cause there was no nervous laughter to cut the tension. Either way, love this movie and it’s officially battling it out with A Quiet Place as my favorite of the year so far.

25. eight30

Regular

I got to see this today and I'm so happy. It was great!

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.