Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham, July 13, 2018) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

Also, the conversation at the mall about Kayla being "wired differently" was brilliant. I'd never thought about the wider "generation gap" existing between people separated by just a few years, but with vastly different upbringings with social media. That's the moment I thought, "Man, I really want to see Bo win Best Original Screenplay for this."

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The car scene was good for the movie. The Gabe end scene was good for the movie.

Hell yes.

Lucas27 and Zilla like this.
  3. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I think you just enjoy watching a little girl get beaten down again and again and never actually enjoy her life.

4. Dog with a Blog

Wat

trevorshmevor likes this.
  5. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Gabe is like her only real friend interaction and you want to take that from her? The fuck is wrong with yall

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

That is absolutely not what @Dog with a Blog is saying haha. He’s more saying that that scene felt, pacing wise, out of place. Not that they didn’t want it to happen

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  7. Dog with a Blog

^^^

Lol this exactly. Wtf. Not sure how that got misconstrued.

8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Exactly

9. Dog with a Blog Aug 3, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2018)
    Dog with a Blog

Not from her. From the movie. There’s a difference. My issue is almost entirely with pacing. I like the scene by itself, not sure how many times I have to say this. Jesus Christ, people.

Also, can we address how dumb this comment is?

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Big credit goes to the actor that played Gabe. He played that role with a very specific balance of charm and awkwardness that could be very showy if not handled right.

11. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Lol I was cracking up when they were talking about how they were having a good conversation

12. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

In the theater now waiting for this to start. Very excited.

kaylasananjou likes this.
  13. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Just bc you’re sadistic doesn’t mean it doesn’t fit in the movie. I won’t back down on this.

14. Dog with a Blog

Mmk

Signifire likes this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Gabe and kayla were you and kj

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  17. imthegrimace

Yeah this was great. I hope Bo keeps making movies.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Kayla getting a signed playbill of Bring It On the musical when she was like 10 is the coolest thing ever
    I wanted to know her dad's story, it was nice seeing a single dad who just loved his daughter
    Kennedy kind of looked like Taylor Swift and I couldn't tell if that was intentional or not
    the car scene definitely fit thematically, the whole thing is about how at 13 you're kinda in this weird bubble between child and adult, and you want to seem cool and adult but you're also just a kid, and also unfortunately girls that young are sexualized all the time, there's some gross Millie Bobbie Brown stuff
    I also like how Bo made her anxiety in that and the pool party scene palatable and made it feel like a horror movie, obviously very different scenarios but both were terrifying in their own ways
    I also like how Bo being a millennial wasn't just like social media is destroying society and was clear to show how it both connects and isolates us; plus she's on Tumblr Buzzfeed and Teen Vogue she's cool
    I hope Kayla remembers to delete all those videos in like 3 years

19. imthegrimace

You absolutely need that scene at the end.

20. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Spectacular film. So many moments that struck a chord with me. The laughs in this film were wonderfully earned as well.

Great performances all-around, and no debate: both the car scene and with Gabe were unbelievably necessary & consequential to her character growth.

imthesheriff likes this.
  21. Jake Gyllenhaal Aug 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2018)
    Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This was fucking great. I was afraid I wouldn’t connect with Kayla considering I graduated 8th grade 20 years ago when social media was non-existent but holy shit does it touch on the anxiety, loneliness, and self-doubt that young teens go through no matter what time period. I had to either close my eyes or look down on the ground during the awkward scenes and interactions (which proved to be an effectively good thing) that unflinchingly showed how introverts like me dealt with trying to fit in.

Like others have said, the car scene and Gabe ending were necessary and made the last third of the movie worth it. I felt so bad as she was trying to hype up her present to Kennedy. And I couldn’t imagine the amount of pain swelling through her head after being dropped off by the high school boy, feeling violated and shamed, and believing her new best friend will never talk to her again. And since I’m old with no kids, I have no idea what goes on in middle and high schools now but that active shooter drill was despressing as hell.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

24. imthegrimace

I hope Elsie is in everything after this she was fantastic.

Zilla and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Elle Fanning and Hailee Steinfeld are the only other actors I can think of seeing at 13 and automatically knowing they are going places