Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham, July 13, 2018) Movie • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It absolutely does. A24 has fairly strong and creative campaigns, but they usually can’t compare to the big studios. Like, Netflix went balls to the wall with their campaigning for “Roma.” They made sure people remembered its name.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

Picked this up on Blu-ray for $10 at Target

joe.boy.fresh. and riotspray like this.
  3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

That's a deal. I may have to go by there. Been wanting to watch those bonus features.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  4. Dog with a Blog

Same. I really look forward to listening to the commentary

riotspray likes this.
  5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

As much as I loved this movie, it’s one of those I don’t think I could watch again, let alone own it

6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't rewatch a lot of movies, but I'd pay $10 just to watch the bonus stuff and to support Bo. Plus it's a film that kinda flew under radar so it'd be nice to have a copy to loan to friends/family.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

BTW, Amazon also has it for $10

8. Lucas27

Trusted

Thought the same thing when I saw it in theaters, then I went and saw it again the next week. Lol.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Won Best Original Screenplay at the WGAs

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Bo wrote another movie

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Is that the Patti Cakes actress

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah and Dumplin, still haven't seen those

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Holy shit it's Gay Kid and Fat Chick, his screenplay from like years ago. I read it and it's fucking great, like a mix of Superbad and Kick-Ass. Can't believe it's actually happening all these years later

JRGComedy and riotspray like this.
  14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I read it too and loved it. But also was like... Damn how is this ever gonna get made?

tdlyon likes this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

glad you mentioned this, because I really wanted to see that movie, but totally forgot about it.

16. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Saw it on a plane and its DOPE

riotspray likes this.
  17. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

where?

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

JRGComedy likes this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

No Oscar nominations for this movie is bullshit.

imthesheriff likes this.
  21. domotime2 Apr 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2019)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

this was pretty grade. Bo had a great touch on how to make this as painfully awkward as possible and creative a very fantastic immersive atmosphere (which is big for me).

Only complaint was that her transformation seemed a little quick for me. To 180 from really unsure of herself roller coaster ride of a person to, 'a ha' just by a quick little talk from dad. Nothing inherently wrong with that and it's nit picky, just thought it was too quick.

but overall very good. A lot of fantastic scenes. To me the movie really picked up once she became friends with the high school girl. Those scenes felt the most realistic 'high school scenes' in quite some time.

A super duper solid 9/10

ChaseTx likes this.
  22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I highly recommend listening to the commentary, I just finished it now and it's great. Bo is obviously hilarious (and Elsie Fisher is actually really funny too, they have great chemistry) and you really notice a lot of little details and subtleties that they point out

ChaseTx and riotspray like this.
  23. EarthShifts

Trusted

Finally got to watch this the other day while on a flight. I really loved it. I connected with so many of those awkward interactions, and maybe it’s because I’m about to be the father to a daughter, but that relationship really hit me hard.

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Finally watched this. I was cringing like the entire time lol. My wife loved it too even though I had to convince her to watch it.

I will say it kind of gave me the same feeling that Boyhood did in that it was pretty realistic but that also meant the end came kind of abruptly for me and it almost felt like all the growth of her character was really subtle but also very abrupt. Like suddenly she’s on a date with Gabe after being terribly awkward and such lol. it doesn’t make the movie worse for me or anything, I’m just not used to watching that kind of movie where there’s no big huge “Hollywood” moment. I guess the talk with her dad, which was fucking awesome.

It also made me very happy I was not a teenager in the times of extreme social media and being Very Online all the time. AIM and LiveJournal and MySpace were enough.

Orla, trevorshmevor, Zilla and 3 others like this.