Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ed Sheeran - No. 6 Collaborations (July 12, 2019) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, May 29, 2019.

1. a lack of color

Regular

But just because he wrote a song with one, two or nine people doesn't mean he NEEDED those people to write the song. You're imaging that he's calling up someone new every time he gets stuck when in reality he is probably just collaborating with his friends and properly crediting everyone who contributes. He wrote The A Team, Perfect, and the song you are quoting by himself so he obviously doesn't NEED them.

BTW, Galway Girl has 9 co-writers because it samples another song written by a band with 5 members.

beachdude and offislandghost like this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I liked your post to give it some legitimacy, you;re welcome

beachdude and TEGCRocco like this.
  3. Lenin

Regular

I can’t believe I’m still having to repeat myself. Based on the lyrics in that song, it’s easy to see how an unsuspecting listener would assume that Sheeran has no outside help at all, when that just isn’t the case. That’s all I’m saying.

4. irthesteve

[​IMG]

5. Lenin

Regular

6. Lenin

Regular

Thank god a white millionaire posh boy has you nerds to stick up for him. What would he do without you!

7. offislandghost

Wait, why do you keep referring to a line that Ed wrote in 2011 to call him out on a song he wrote with his friends in 2017?

How producers credits work- I’m in a band. I write the whole song. Lyrics. Melodies. Guitar parts. Bass parts. My producer comes up with an idea to change the drums to make them more dynamic. If we determine the new drum sound is essential to the feel of the song, the producer gets a writing credit. Simple.

In absolutely no possible way does that LESSEN the contribution of the original songwriter. In no way does that mean that that songwriters didn’t write that song by themselves. The co-writing credit is to properly credit ANYONE who contributed ideas as simple as a drum fill, a melody change, a harmony.

Source: I’m in a band where I write 100% of the music. But guess what- my band mate(s) receive co-writing credits because they CONTRIBUTE to the overall sound of the audio recording through collaborative ideas. But guess what- I’m still a “solo songwriter” (since you keep using that language).

8. GBlades

Trusted

This whole thread makes me think theres some personal beef with Ed, like one of your mates liking someone you hate so you begin to hate your friend for it and try to convince them otherwise

9. irthesteve

beachdude, sawhney[rusted]2 and Lenin like this.
  10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Good for him - not a bad idea to take that hiatus

11. Lenin

Regular

irthesteve likes this.
  12. irthesteve

beachdude likes this.
  13. irthesteve

GBlades and beachdude like this.
  14. EzeRojo

His performance in Yesterday movie was actually good. I like this guy, he's really talented.

15. irthesteve

16. EzeRojo

He is now in Argentina and stayin' for a couple days in his route to Antarctica.

17. irthesteve

new song, Afterglow, out tomorrow

PolarBlare likes this.
  18. PolarBlare

Regular Supporter

Honestly stoked for this. He said in an interview a couple years ago that Subtract/Minus/whatever might turn into a lo-fi album, which I'm honestly kind of hoping for. Even if it's something totally different I'm still excited though.

19. irthesteve

I would be shocked it if was actually like that, but we'll see!

beachdude and PolarBlare like this.
  20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

21. irthesteve

not too shabby, I dig it

22. irthesteve

not from the album

Afterglow is a song I wrote last year that I wanted to release for you. It’s not the first single from the next album, it’s just a song I love, and hope you love too. Enjoy !
    Have a safe and happy festive break and New Year’s.
    Back to dad land for me now, ciao x

23. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Is there a reason a lot of people aren’t a fan of him? Is it just because he’s a white dude that makes (according to some) basic music? I was reading another forum and that was the main criticism but the attitude towards him was largely negative. Has he done anything else to warrant criticism or general distaste?

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I feel like he's said some dumb stuff in the past but overall I have no beef. He can write a banger and has a good voice. His live show was solid too

ItsAndrew likes this.
  25. irthesteve

Yeah a lot of it does come down to bland white dude being insanely popular, which I totally agree that there are literally THOUSANDS of people of color, and women, who deserve way more than him. That being said, I think he makes largely inoffensive pop music that I can enjoy.

He also made this mostly hip-hop based album and outsold most actual hip-hop artists, which is kinda shitty from an industry standpoint.

I think, and I could be wrong, that a lot of the negativity around him is based on how is is received as an artist compared to other artists, and being a product of a lot of shittiness in the industry. As a singular human, he seems to be a fine enough dude who makes nice music.

beachdude and ItsAndrew like this.