Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ed Sheeran - No. 6 Collaborations (July 12, 2019) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, May 29, 2019.

1. Lenin Aug 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 16, 2019)
    Lenin

Regular

You asked for a specific example and I provided you with one. I guess that leaves you with no argument so you can only respond with stupid gifs.

2. offislandghost

As someone who has followed Ed’s career since he was an opening act...

- He’s an extremely talented live performer. The massive stadium shows aren’t conducive to his style- his intimate shows are some of the best concerts I’ve ever seen.

- He’s an incredibly gifted songwriter. Doesn’t he write with other people? Absolutely. Does that make him less of a songwriter? Absolutely not. Not only does he write for himself, but he’s written some major hits for other artists.

- Is he a pop icon? Yes. I don’t believe for a second that dominating pop radio was ever on his to-do list. He’s not some manufactured boy band, he’s a genuine singer/songwriter that got to a point of making so much money that every aspect of him is, of course, going to seem manufactured.

- Is Ed in 2019 the same as Ed in 2011? No. Artists evolve and change based on trends, life changes, and yes, what makes them money. It doesn’t make them less of an artist. Do I think he’s starting to sell out a bit? Yeah. Do I think he should have stayed on the true singer/songwriter trajectory instead of collaborating with Cardi B and Bieber? Yes. But he’s staying relevant while exercising his artistry. That’s the artist he wants to be.

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  3. Lenin Aug 16, 2019
    Lenin

Regular

I agree with a lot of this. However, my point is that he is manufactured at least to a certain extent, because he tries to present himself as a one-man band who writes ALL of his own songs. But this just isn't true- go look at the credits for any of his albums. Why did he sing the lyrics "I sing and write my own tune and I write my own verse hell / Don't need another wordsmith to make my tunes sell" when this is demonstrably false?

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

why does Nicki Minaj sing bitch I'm a monser when she is obviously a human?????

zmtr, beachdude and offislandghost like this.
  5. Lenin

Regular

Yep, Sheeran's boast that he doesn't need any help from other songwriters is just as much of a fantasy as Minaj claiming she's a monster. Nice self-own!

6. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Sounds like you're really only worked up about this because you don't like him. Collaborating with other musicians/writers =/= not writing your own stuff.

7. Lenin Aug 16, 2019
    Lenin

Regular

I’m not worked up about anything. R&B is my favourite genre. The vast majority of the artists I listen to don’t write their own stuff. I don’t care about that.

I’m just saying that the image of himself that Sheeran presents to the world is false. The guy makes out he writes all his own stuff, but he doesn't. I'm making quite a simple point here but for some reason no one can accept what I'm saying.

8. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I mean, he doesn't though. That line you keep bringing up is just saying he doesn't need anyone else to write his songs for him and again, collaborating with other writers isn't the same as having your songs written for you. The very next lines say exactly that:
    "Call yourself a singer-writer, you're just bluffing
    Name's on the credits and you didn't write nothing"

I don't think anyone here is saying Sheeran is in fact 100% responsible for all his songs. They're saying that your idea that he markets himself as a solo songwriter is wrong.

9. Lenin Aug 16, 2019
    Lenin

Regular

If other writers contribute parts to your songs, then yes they are helping you to write your songs. Hence why they get a songwriting credit. Please explain how Sheeran singing the words "I sing and write my own tune and I write my own verse hell / Don't need another wordsmith to make my tunes sell" isn't him making the claim that he is a solo songwriter???

On a related note, I find it hilarious that it took 9 songwriters to come up with Galway Girl, possibly one of the worst songs of the decade.

10. irthesteve

at least it's not egregious as The Beatles lyric "Paul writes all our songs, no one else writes the songs, trust us. la de da de da" like COME ON we know all 4 of you write the lyrics, GROW UP BEATLES! STOP LYING!

11. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Yeah, I know? I didn't say otherwise?

And those lines are calling out people who didn't contribute anything to their own songs yet call themselves a singer-songwriter. Sheeran is the main songwriter, but he collaborates with other people to finish them. He doesn't need anyone else to write the song for him. It's not that complicated man.

12. irthesteve

Quick reminder that producers get a writing credit in many cases for simply producing, so even most of Ed's debut album with the producer being listed as writer is still Ed solo. Just a fun fact.

13. Lenin Aug 16, 2019
    Lenin

Regular

But he does need someone else to write at least a part of the song for him if he has to work with other writers! Otherwise, why would he work with them at all?? Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?? Lol.

14. Lenin

Regular

I think that's fair though. Producers contribute a lot.

15. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

That isn't how working with other songwriters works but whatever

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  16. irthesteve

Albert Einstein worked with other scientists so he didn't actually come up wit the theory of relativity himself

beachdude and TEGCRocco like this.
  17. Lenin

Regular

You guys are talking out of your asses. Jake Gosling produced tracks 1 and 6 of Sheeran’s debut album but he has no songwriting credit on those songs. If he’s only getting a songwriting credit for his production, then why doesn’t he get a songwriting credit for these songs? He does for all of the other tracks he produced on that album.

18. Lenin

Regular

Yes, because Ed Sheeran writing one of his songs is directly comparable to Einstein coming up with the theory of relativity. Your analogies suck, man

19. irthesteve

I'm starting to think you have someone ghost writing your posts

20. Lenin

Regular

I hope you don’t have someone ghost writing your posts. If you do, you need to sack them asap. Your attempts at humour the last page or so have been weak af

21. irthesteve

Honestly, if you liked my humor I would be really disappointed.

22. Lenin

Regular

You got a grand total of 1 like for your several attempts at humour... I don’t think anyone likes your jokes bro

23. irthesteve

ah yes, likes, the ultimate metric of humor

24. irthesteve

bro

Lenin likes this.
  25. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

If it means anything, I've found this whole debate to be ridiculously funny