Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs (November 30, 2018) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Holy fuck lol I didn't realize my iTunes was on shuffle and listened to this twice in the wrong order, and it was STILL the best hip-hop project I've heard all year. I could shuffle these tracks all day.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This is the wildest fucking album I've heard from a mainstream artist (does Earl count as mainstream?) in a long time but I think I love it. I was completely transfixed for my entire first listen and further listens keep uncovering new layers. What a brave and awesome way to come back after basically four years of relative silence

3. cherrywaves

Trusted

I like the album but I feel like the vocals vary in the mix depending on the song and that kinda throws me off

4. Collins

Trusted

This is wild, I’m definitely all over it and into how short a lot of this is. The Mint, Veins, and Dec 24 are my early favorites

wisdomfordebris and CarpetElf like this.
  5. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This is so good

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  7. username

hey you lil piss baby

Bad apple daily clashin' with my kinfolk
    Bad acid did damage to my mental

8. PauLo

43% Burnt

Gonna need a bit of time with this. It's great, no doubt. But the song lengths mean you don't get enough time with each song. It's got more a beat tape feel to it than an actual album. More than willing to give it lots of listens, though!

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I don't think you're really supposed to listen to individual songs from this, it definitely feels like it's supposed to be a full album experience. Probably one of the reasons it's so short too

imthesheriff and FrankieThe4th like this.
  10. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I still think this would be so much better if the songs were longer.

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

While I agree that having longer songs would be interesting, this is the album we got and I’m sure he deliberately intended for something unique that didnt cater to current rap trends (long albums with lots of features). Though the songs are admittedly short, none of them feel incomplete. It also features Earl’s most mature lyricism and the way the production reflects that (literally sampling his deceased family member’s music and a monologue from his mother) is profound as hell. Ive also been thinking about this album in context with Earl’s first few releases as an artist after reading his interviews—how he was so angry at his family back then. This album really does feel like a concise and confident end to that emotional chapter, if that makes sense.

12. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with the above but where I disagree is that I think many of the songs on here do feel incomplete. Imo they all end so abruptly and it feels like just as I'm getting into a song, it ends. It's a frustrating album for me because I love the production and what Earl is doing vocally but I just can't vibe with the short song lengths.

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I definitely think this is supposed to have a more mixtape scattershot feel to it by design. I dig it. Like the classic definition of a rap mixtape in the cassette era

14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This is fucking great. I definitely feel like you need to listen to it from start to finish and can’t pick songs to listen to.

sophos34, Owlex and wisdomfordebris like this.
  15. Jacob Tender Dec 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2018)
    I don't intend to knock your opinion here, but I see this sort of critique all the time, for all kinds of media (songs, TV, Movies). "It would be better if it was longer." What does this mean? I've never understood why quantity is preferable to quality.

If Earl had more to say, wouldn't he say it? I love demos and unreleased tracks and all that more than most. But I think extraneous material is interesting because of its context. I respect the final cut with few exceptions. Just looking for some clarity on this common bit of criticism

Rowan5215, sean_rugy and sophos34 like this.
  16. cherrywaves

Trusted

“Red Water” is incredible

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Will Wiesenfeld of Baths/Geotic has a great tweet thread about this.

sean_rugy and Jacob Tender like this.
  18. Yes. This. Thanks for sharing.

19. Letterbomb31 Dec 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2018)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I already explained before- many of the songs just feel incomplete to me. I do enjoy this album (it's grown on me since my previous comments), I'd just would prefer it if the songs weren't so abrupt. It's my personal taste, there's nothing more to it tbh.

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

There's nothing wrong with any of the songs. They're fucking great and if Earl wants them to be short songs, so be it. I don't think the songs feel incomplete, I just feel that a couple of the shorter ones could have been fleshed out a little more. Give the beats a bit more time to bury itself in your brain. But that's just me.

21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Ya'll seem to be missing that that's not the point of these songs

Anyway shit is perfect and my favorite rap release of the year

RobbieBerns likes this.
  22. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

One minute people are moaning that rap albums are too long, the next minute they're too short lol

sophos34 likes this.
  23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

daddy

yung_ting likes this.
  24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I honestly hate consumer culture no ones ever satisfied

Jake W likes this.
  25. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not questioning Earl's authenticity; this is obviously the album he wanted to make. I just personally don't like that the songs are so short. I don't get why that's so difficult to understand lol

Contender likes this.