Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Eager Seas - Mine As Well (2018) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Oct 3, 2018.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Eager Seas, fka Lakes, fka Eager Seas, fka Wataski Wa.... have a new album coming out! Or it is kinda already out!

Shipping now on vinyl & cassette, digital and CD (?) release forthcoming.

[​IMG]

1. Always On Your Side
    2. Jean
    3. Fade Away
    4. Jean
    5. Hold On (Pt. 2)
    6. Switchblade Perrier
    7. Live Wire
    8. Calling Out
    9. So What
    10. Supposed To Be
    11. Life Can Be Seen

coleslawed and anonimito like this.
  2. irthesteve

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

WHAT? How have I not heard about this?

Also, why have they gone back to the Eager Seas name? Always been so confusing.

irthesteve likes this.
  4. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Would really like to hear this whole thing but I don't need the vinyl and I'm not spending $15 on a cassette. Wish they'd start selling it digitally now instead of waiting another month.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah, seems like an odd release schedule/rollout.

6. irthesteve

definitely a weird rollout strategy

7. irthesteve

it actually even stranger, if you look at Spotify, all the albums and EPs released as "Lakes' are now on the "Eager Seas" page, with new artwork replacing the band name

8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Weird rollout to accompany weird band name situations. Still, usually gorgeous music so I’ll check this out!

coleslawed and irthesteve like this.
  9. PorterBoyBlue

Beautiful tunes, did anyone else feel that Fade Away video was like Radiohead’s Daydreaming video without doors

10. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

Revisiting some very old Watashi Wa to get by til new music comes out

irthesteve likes this.
  11. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Whenever I was feeling particularly angsty as a teenager, I would play this album to balance things out. So upbeat and cheery. Digging these new songs, I just wish the dude could make his mind about his band name.

12. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I don’t think the band name will change anymore, and he had a pretty good reason for changing it from Lakes:

13. Dog with a Blog

Fade Away gives me some heavy Grizzly Bear vibes

14. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I just discovered this thread. This has indeed been an odd roll out. They started releasing singles as early as January this year and I had no idea there was an album coming out of it. They’ve released seven songs in total.

As far as the band name, I know back when Watashi Wa broke up he had decided to name his new outing Eager Seas, but the label told him to stick with Watashi Wa even though he was solo now because it would be familiar to old fans. Then he left the label and wanted to change the band name again but his wife at the time didn’t like it. So then he changed it to Lakes. Then he and his wife got a divorce and yeah, there are a lot of bands with the name Lakes so...back to Eager Seas.

irthesteve likes this.
  15. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

When the hell can I finally listen to this? So frustrating.

irthesteve and Dog with a Blog like this.
  16. irthesteve

anonimito and Dog with a Blog like this.
  17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Looks like it's out now digitally.

Matt Metzler and Dog with a Blog like this.
  18. Dog with a Blog

Thank god

19. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

This had to be one of the strangest and least effective rollouts of the streaming age. Releasing one song a month for a handful of months with a posted schedule for the release of every song on the album, and then going silent and not following the schedule, and then releasing it on cassette and vinyl only, and then almost two months later putting it on streaming services. Was there a strategy at any point or...?

Anyway, glad it’s finally here.

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Totally agree. It's been very confusing. I'm not a fan of this 'release one song at a time until the whole album is out' move anyway (but can see why it's useful for streaming platforms). However, any benefits that they could have had here seem undermined by not following the release schedule anyway so not getting those songs onto playlists etc.

21. irthesteve

oh wow, ok glad it's here finally haha

22. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

So shifting from “I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)” by The 1975 to “Life Can Be Seen” by Eager Seas was quite the emotional experience on the way to work this morning.

23. Bobby

Trusted

Damn this just randomly popped up in my spotify this morning. Was totally unaware before and now i'm pleasantly surprised.

24. irthesteve

It's a really nice record, great band

Dog with a Blog and anonimito like this.
  25. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Loving this

anonimito likes this.