Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

E-Sports Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by matthaber, Apr 4, 2016.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Don't know if anyone here really follows E-Sports all that much but I figured I'd make a thread to see if there was any interest.

I've personally gotten to a point where I don't actually watch any real sports anymore and just get my competitive fix by watching Dota tournaments religiously. Despite how shitty the timezone difference is gonna be, I cant wait for the Spring Major in Manila to start. As a huge Team Secret fan I'm really excited to see their new line-up in action.

2. Literal

#1 Dawg

I'm glad you made this. I thought about doing this a few days ago.

But I'm the same in regards to watching traditional sports.

3. Literal

#1 Dawg

I don't follow dota (I usually do watch some games during the majors, but I don't get what's going on). But I do read up on their subreddit when roster changes and such go down.

I mainly watch CSGO and LoL. I actually just got back home from going to the CSGO major in Columbus yesterday.

4. matthaber

I'd absolutely kill to go to a live E-sports event but there is never any good tournaments up here in Toronto. I've gone to live streams of The International though (once at a movie theatre) and those have been insanely fun.

When is the international equivalent for CSGO ? Cause thats one game I've been really wanting to get into watching.

Literal likes this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

My roommate watches the GO stuff all of the time. He is constantly telling me about upsets and stuff. It's pretty funny how into it he is.

6. matthaber

My room mates at first were very weirded out by it but now they have come to accept it/understand what it is. Heck, my one room mate was watching rocket league on twitch the other day.

Part of me gets really annoyed whenever people give me weird looks when I tell them Im super into watching Pro DOTA but part of me also understands because its not something you can really comprehend till you witness it. Most people just imagine you watching someone play halo or something on a couch when you first describe what E-Sports are.

My friends still get mad at me when I tell them I cant hang out because "the finals for the dota major are on" because to them im just not hanging out to "watch video games". If I had told them i couldn't hangout because I gotta watch the superbowl though no one would bat an eye.

7. Literal

#1 Dawg

It's hard to say because in dota you can clearly tell TI is the Super Bowl of dota and all of their other majors, though important have a lower prize pool and a "well at least we have TI to look forward to" feeling. But in CSGO, up until this last major the total prize pool was 250K for all three majors. For this last major in Columbus, Valve finally upped it to 1 million total and that is now going to be the standard for all majors after. However, there's not that one tournament that csgo has that is comparable to DOTA's TI right now as the grand daddy of them all.

I don't even think csgo needs a TI like event but cs has been shafted for years in terms of prize money from valve. During majors they sell stickers in game that players get 50% of proceeds (depending on their contract with their org), but there's nothing like the compendium to up the overall prize pool.

But now organizers like FaceIt, Turner (which will be on national tv), ESL, etc now are running million dollar plus+ leagues in between majors, so finally some cs players should be close to making the skrilla the best dota players see haha.

8. matthaber

Thats good to hear that valve is finally pouring more money into CSGO. In the long run having multiple decent prize pool tournaments is probably a lot better than 1 massive prize pool + a lot of smaller ones, it will give more stability to the league and allow the prize pool to be more evenly placed between all the players.

Im interested to see what they do with the compendium model going forward, because eventually dota is gonna stop growing and people will get fed up with how greedy the compendiums have become causing the international to have a smaller prize pool than the one prior to it, which i assume valve does not want because it will kill all the hype. The crowd sourcing of the prize pool while gaining a lot of hype for dota just isn't a sustainable model moving forward.

Make sure to post in here when the next "major" CSGO tournament is btw, id be super interested in trying to get into it.

9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Legit just bumping this to get it out of the midst of the archived threads for my organizational OCD.

10. The International starts next week!

matthaber likes this.
  11. matthaber

The international is my favourite time of the year. Its become tradition for me and my brother to go watch the finals be streamed at a local movie theatre/bar and its always the most hype event. Having a crowd of a couple hundred people go crazy over something as simple as a Nature's Prophet being picked in a draft is just amazing