Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DVD/Blu-Ray Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by secretsociety92, Jul 29, 2019.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I got a copy of the Se7en Digibook and it’s one of my favorites in my collection.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I gotta get it ASAP.

Also I know most people here probably won’t care, but last month an Anne Bancroft blu ray collection came out and it has a few that I don’t think have ever been released in that format and I’m pumped. Not super expensive either for what you get.

3. DarkHotline

Ooooo what all was in it?

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sorry for the caps, I copied from Amazon:

DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK
    THE MIRACLE WORKER
    THE PUMPKIN EATER
    THE GRADUATE
    FATSO
    TO BE OR NOT TO BE
    AGNES OF GOD
    84 CHARING CROSS ROAD

DarkHotline likes this.
  5. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

dtEdHL83.jpg

Enjoyed the hell out of The Cat O' Nine Tails upon first viewing so wanted it so it could join my other two Dario Argento films and since The Turning has become a critical dud I thought I would finally get around to rewatching The Innocents that is also based on The Turn of the Screw.

6. secretsociety92

CW1bjKBi.jpg

The recent few that I have bought, Wolfen and Tarantula both also come with posters with the former also having art cards.

riotspray likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I know this thread isn't super active, but it makes me happy that someone is still collecting physical media.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  8. secretsociety92

Hope I'm not a rarity in doing so as for me personally it is just so much more convenient than solely relying on streaming services, as roughly only a third of the three-hundred plus that I own are on the three services I have access to.

riotspray likes this.
  9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I had nearly 1200 DVDs but got rid of all but a couple hundred of them because they were just taking up space and most stuff is streaming now. But I like owning something tangable and still buy stuff every now and then, especially if it's something that's off the beaten path or not currently streaming.

10. secretsociety92

I understand how having a lack of space would instigate reducing what you have which is why I prioritise the kind of films I get while only buying Blu-rays, which I find helps filter out any cheap compulsive purchases and for now means I have the room but I have to admit that room is probably limited to at best fifty more haha. Doesn't help that there seems to be way more special edition versions of films coming out, the amount of films I have bought or see out there with physical extras in comparison to five years ago is insane.

riotspray likes this.
  11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yup. Collecting DVDs was easy, because I'd go to Half Price Books and they'd have clearance stuff for $1 and then do 20% off sales (sometimes even more) and I'd just buy anything I liked that I didn't already have. Streaming only provides the film itself, so now I only buy something if there's some kind of bonus content I'm particularly interested in, or it has something extra with it like that John Wick steelbook you posted about a while back (though I never bought that, I'm still tempted when I look at your post)

coleslawed and secretsociety92 like this.
  12. secretsociety92

I hear you on your first point, used to buy DVDs off Amazon for a penny with shipping being only a £1 which is why I have a bunch of awful films on DVD that I can't get rid of. I find a mix of streaming, in particular for new films and those I'm not sure of, coupled with physical purchases works best especially when streaming is so fickle with what is available then suddenly isn't. That John Wick one wasn't even the best one available in terms of the steelbook artwork, just that I couldn't afford the one I wanted at the time but it is still great and is now way more expensive than when I bought it.

riotspray likes this.
  13. secretsociety92

coleslawed and riotspray like this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve been buying a lot more things lately since I’m finding more and more favorites that aren’t streaming anymore. It’s been a while since I’ve been hunting down out of print DVDs but now I’ve been getting back into it.

15. secretsociety92

Not bought anything for a while due to the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 crisis but these three gems were going for half price which made getting them irresistible.

pe6TuTNF.jpg

16. secretsociety92

X1W1_FC7.jpg

Everything I have bought since my previous post.

coleslawed and riotspray like this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This is making me sad. I just started using Plex last week and collecting physical media seems like it will disappear from my life even more than it had previously.

18. secretsociety92

Same will probably happen to me at some point if I can no longer find any more room.

riotspray likes this.
  19. secretsociety92

The Clint Eastwood films were going super cheap as part of a collection and 12 Angry Men and Fail Safe are the first of the Criterion Collection to join what I already have, probably won't be the last either.

b129uxOR.jpg

DarkHotline and riotspray like this.
  20. secretsociety92

I don't have an obsession, honest... Plus Doctor Sleep came with the director's cut, that is 28 minutes longer, which I am extremely excited to see.

2PcrDAIy.jpg

michael_gatto likes this.
  21. DarkHotline

The other day, I got a Digibook of The Matrix and Mandy for like $5 each, I felt like I robbed a bank and got away with it.

22. michael_gatto

Trusted

Mandy being $5 on Blu-ray at Walmart was a great find. I haven't bought anything really in a while but I've got a few criterion Blu-ray's in my amazon cart that will be purchased very soon.

23. secretsociety92

The Criterion Collection is on sale over here in the UK at the moment, tempted to get some more after buying the two I got last week.

24. michael_gatto

Trusted

A friend of mine sent me a post from Reddit that Barnes & Noble are having a 50% off sale right now so I'll probably end up in there this weekend to pick up a few as well.

25. secretsociety92

Love to see what you get.

michael_gatto likes this.