Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DVD/Blu-Ray Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by secretsociety92, Jul 29, 2019.

1. secretsociety92 Jul 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 31, 2019)
    secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Show off your latest DVD and (or) Blu-ray purchases and I know some think buying physical is a completely redundant thing to do now that streaming services exist (which is fine) but for me, I like to combine the two as plenty isn't on offer on said services.

My film collection, so far -

a7j_AKcm.jpg

2. secretsociety92

This is what I bought yesterday that got me curious about other people's collections and purchases -

EAmi9m1WwAI1L73.jpg

riotspray likes this.
  3. I'd recommend renaming the thread DVD/Blu-Ray Thread or something along those lines.

As for latest, lemme see if I can remember what was in my used book store haul last week.

Atlantis
    Frozen
    Big Eyes
    Colossal
    In Bruges
    and I can't remember the last one...

Last DVD I bought new was The Lion King haha

I don't have pics at the moment. There was a column on AnimeNewsNetwork called Shelf Life that was primarily DVD reviews, but at the end of every article it had pics people sent in of their collections. I loved looking at those.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  4. secretsociety92

Thanks for the recommendation and good choices with Big Eyes, Colossal and In Bruges. Speaking of the latter I have a Blu-ray collector's edition of that arriving mid-August that looks great.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Got Klute from the Criterion sale and the complete series of The Americans most recently. I still prefer physical media for things I really care about, because nothing else feels like I truly “own” it.

6. secretsociety92

Feeling like you truly own it is something I wholly can relate to, as good as streaming services are the films they have on offer are totally reliant on how many people are watching it or if the licence they have for the film will stay with them whereas owning a film physically will never have those issues. Plus streaming services have a very limited array of films on offer especially when it comes to older films which I have been getting into quite a lot lately.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  7. secretsociety92

Arrived a bit later than planned but better late than never and what a treat this is, only £30 and I get my all-time favourite horror film on 4K UHD (along with a Blu-ray), Bonus Content, the soundtrack, five art cards, a well-produced poster and a booklet with essays and original articles.

Probably the ultimate example of why I love to buy films physically.

9gup0Ejm.jpg

riotspray likes this.
  8. secretsociety92

Had some birthday money saved for a film haul and finally got round to spending it, decided to opt for four films I have heard a lot of positive thoughts about but not seen myself.

Sv168NeW.jpg

9. secretsociety92

A recent haul I got with the Premium Collection from Warner continuing to impress.

UbXFhrgD.jpg 5_86hp4y.jpg 2q93nw6v.jpg xZ_uZuXB.jpg

EASheartsVinyl and riotspray like this.
  10. What's all the In Bruges stuff? Looks pretty.

Just bought Warm Bodies, Welcome to Me, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the latter of which I haven't actually seen before.

11. flask

Trusted Supporter

I just wanna say The Social Network is my favorite blu-ray I own and almost all of Fincher's movies have top notch blu-ray releases.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

13. secretsociety92 Sep 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 16, 2019)
    secretsociety92

Full screenplay in the one on the right and two new pieces of writing (Ian Christie with A Season In Purgatory and Eamonn Jordan with Trigger Warnings) that are about the film along with a Bomb Magazine archive interview with Martin McDonagh on the left plus a rigid cover top middle.

An example from the script is below.

EEmx3c6XoAM1T5U.jpg

I have been meaning to get one myself but the more films that become available over here just keeps putting me off doing so haha.

14. secretsociety92

Couldn't resist getting my favourite film of the year on 4K & Blu-ray, especially with the really good steelbook cover and couple of extras that came with it.

KoOYhLKc.jpg rPZrByaL.jpg qS3mgSXz.jpg JOeMeHLM.jpg FcEyEZGJ.jpg

coleslawed, airik625 and riotspray like this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

That's fuckin dope.

16. secretsociety92

Sure is, the two extras are made out of properly heavy metal as well rather than some cheap plastic which is always a bonus.

17. secretsociety92 Sep 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2019)
    secretsociety92

Also finally got my posters and art cards sorted out on my bedroom walls from the numerous films I have bought lately, some I have shown before but to finally see them together has me so happy.

cEl8qDA4.jpg Np-pGlGa.jpg

However, it is the below poster that I am most pleased about with only around 100 being made at £30 each (frame not included) and I think it looks epic.

hJp6yj3k.jpg

jkauf and riotspray like this.
  18. secretsociety92

Latest haul, was kind of nervous that I wasn't going to be able to get The Hidden as only eight were initially brought into the store I get the WB Premium Collection films from and could only manage to get there today. Luckily they had one left and The Big Sleep as well which is the third film I have purchased to star Humphrey Bogart and Laura Bacall, hopefully it matches the other two.

5IQYDggB.jpg

riotspray likes this.
  19. secretsociety92

Finally got the Arrow Video re-release and restoration of Robocop on Blu-ray which comes with a huge amount of extras on disc and physically, with the poster that is original and 80-page booklet being particular highlights.

lSS6-sw0.jpg 18wGMZTU.jpg

Full Effect Ed and riotspray like this.
  20. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

michael_gatto likes this.
  21. secretsociety92 Dec 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 11, 2019)
    secretsociety92

Though there is nothing much in the way of extras, I am so glad this has finally been given a UK Blu-ray release as I loved it upon first viewing and think it is as good as the best film from Sergio Leone's The Man With No Name trilogy.

KfWiawDl.jpg

22. secretsociety92

Got a couple of special editions recently -

KsycNRJw.jpg

Jd6HB5OJ.jpg

Which came with a double-sided vinyl with a song on each side, Good Thing” by Paul Revere and the Raiders & “Bring a Little Lovin” by Los Bravos.

pshz6FdQ.jpg

coleslawed and riotspray like this.
  23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

24. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Alright, present

25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

AA004631-2A36-4E59-97C6-DF8C7613A189.jpeg
    Finally got me a copy