Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dustin Kensrue Talks Lyric Themes of New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice talked with BaebleMusic about the band’s upcoming album and some of the lyrics themes expressed throughout:

I would definitely say that we’ve drawn a lot of our influence from the current state of politics, but I also like to personalize things when I write, and I’ve always written that way. I’d say on the new album that half of the songs are like ‘Blood on the Sand,’ and bring out that much more hard-hitting political dialogue, especially given that it’s an election year, but I’d also say that we try to write beyond the politics of issues. Maybe it’s more that we’re writing about something broader, like society…culture even. I feel that my writing is about the way I take in what’s going on within society, and the importance I feel about certain issues leads me to doing my own personal research on them, which often translates into a song. One of the political issues we talk about in this album is the song ‘Whistleblower,’ which is about Edward Snowden, and then there’s the song ‘Black Honey,’ which delves into the political as well.

2. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

Really excited for this album. I loved early Thrice but lost track of them with their last few albums.

3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I cannot wait. The hype machine is a spinnin.

4. princexero Apr 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2016)
    princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

I'm going to see Thrice in Canada this summer! My trip from Italy is going to be awesome :) can't wait to hear old songs they've never played before! Dustin said that! So stoked!